Portable Boat Heater - Suggestions

markvan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 25' bowrider with a high camper style canopy and I am looking for some sort of portable heater to use on those cooler rainy days. Any suggestions on which type of heater would do the job....12 volt? kerosene, butane......

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Portable Boat Heater - Suggestions

There is a Coleman portable heater that runs on butane. Its safe for using in a tent so long as you allow a little air flow. It uses some sort of catalytic reaction to produce a low and constant heat. I haven't used it yet but did try it out on the floor and it seems to add some heat nicely. I bought mine at a Sportmart here in the US.<br /><br /> http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/newsrelease.asp?releasenum=238

rottenray6402

Ensign

They make a great heater for what you need that runs on the small propane cannisters. They are called little Buddy heaters and are safe to use indoors as long as some fresh air is allowed in. The only caution is propane is heavier than air so if you have a leak it will settle in the bilge.Run the blower a bit longer and you should be fine. Mine will run about 6 hrs on a full bottle of propane.

dcliveaboard

Cadet

Hard to believe with the heat we're having now, but it will be getting cooler eventually. My question is this -- my dog will be staying on the boat during the day when I'm at work. Any recommendations on heaters that would be safe without supervision?

mattttt25

Commander

if you have shore power, i'd go with something electric. has to be something small out there. i know they advertise as safe, but i'm always uneasy using the butane/propane heaters, especially unattended.

rottenray6402

Ensign

I certainly agree on not using the heater unattended. I'm even leery of electric unattended unless it is a built in of some sort.