Popping and shaking

Ok. Just be careful and make sure you’ve looked into what you are going to do. You can get a fair smack off it if you’re not careful. Test your coils too. That’s just a resistance on the meter. Likely set to 200ohms range usually…if it’s not an auto range meter. There will be a specific tolerance reading for your coils at a given temperature that you need them to achieve. Also easy to do. Very handy tool to have for a boat too.
Thanks for the heads up I’ll be careful. After a quick overview of the manual I can’t find a stator, it seems my engine uses a magneto. Or are they the same thing? Thanks for your patience

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It has a starter motor.----I assume it has a stator to charge the battery.----I believe you should install a battery to protect the battery charging bits !----Do not run it without a battery in the circuit.

It has a starter motor.----I assume it has a stator to charge the battery.----I believe you should install a battery to protect the battery charging bits !----Do not run it without a battery in the circuit.
Makes sense. Reason I haven’t yet is because there is no ignition button. I’ll do that this week. Could I use a deep cycle battery? I’ve got an extra one laying around.

I installed an ignition button, battery, and fixed the wiring on the motor. New marine cranking battery and she fires right up.

I got the multimeter and ignition coil seems to be working fine. I think the leads from the ignition coil to the plugs could be replaced because they are all torn up from the previous owner. For now I am just happy the thing starts up without a hassle. I still need to test the magneto just to double check I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

There is still some popping and shaking, I think I can live with it for now until it gets a bit warmer and I can do some fine tuning to get it running smoother.

I am trying to get the mixture screw adjusted properly. Any tips or references for that?

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
If you're going to be running it anyway, you can try something like Seafoam in the gas. It MIGHT dissolve some obstructions in the carb while you're using it, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

The ideal/easy way to set up the idle mixture is to run the engine at idle in gear in the water (boat strapped to the dock). Let it warm up good, then screw the mixture screw in while idling in gear until the idle speed starts dropping or it starts to miss. Then back the screw out about 1/8 of a turn, which should get it back to "smooth" and the idle speed back up to normal. You might have to re-adjust the idle speed if it's already too low or it gets too high, then repeat the mixture adjustment again.

However, if your engine is misfiring and not running smooth to begin with, it might be tricky to set the mixture properly that way.

pvanv

Admiral
I have never had any luck with seafoam, which is basically just mineral spirits. Yes, set idle speed correctly, then ajjust mixture, then readjust idle speed. repeat a few times, then set mixture about 1/8 turn richer for stability.

update - I took the thermostat cover off the other day and realized that the previous owner had removed the thermostat. He obviously knew more than the engineers who built the thing.

I bought a new thermostat and gasket, replaced both. I have adjusted the idle and mixture screws to what sounds like ideal to my ear.

Here’s a video below of how much better the engine sounds. No more pop and no more shake. A heck of a lot quieter too. Also as a side note for some reason the tell tale is fully pushing water out the video makes it seem like it’s only droplets but it’s a steady stream.

Attachments

• IMG_5551.MOV
    12.3 MB · Views: 2