Popping and revving?

I just put a new head gasket on my Johnson 45 HP commercial, pressures are 145 upper, 135 lower. Engine is running at normal temperature and is now popping for some strange reason. Check out the video. Plugs are brand new and clean, mixture is new gas and 50 to one, I have some Seafoam in the tank to clean the carbs. Not sure if this is ignition, or a lean condition? any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_3630.mov
    38.1 MB · Views: 2

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Did it run before you replaced the Head Gasket?
When you had the Head off, did you check it for Warpage, and/or Lap it?
You say the carbs are fully closed at Idle, are they still fully closed at "just above Idle"?

Did it run before you replaced the Head Gasket?
When you had the Head off, did you check it for Warpage, and/or Lap it?
You say the carbs are fully closed at Idle, are they still fully closed at "just above Idle"?
Head was slightly warped; had it resurfaced. Ran good considering compression was low on one cylinder due to the leaky gasket. When the video was taken the motor was off idle and throttle plates were slightly open at about 1200 rpm.

Hello, working on my J45RCLEIA commercial outboard. The Seloc manual mentions adjusting the idle mixture; but...mine does not seem to have one. See the exploded view below. My carbs don't seem to have any mixture adjustment screws? Both carbs are the same except for the roller-follower, it's on the bottom carb and there is synch-linkage to the top carb.

J45R Carburetor.JPG

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You just gave an Example of why having the engine specific Service Manual is important

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is item #7 in place.-----I think you need to put the boat into the lake and test run.----I think throttle plates are open too early.----If that is the case the idle circuit in the carburetors does NOT work.