pop up killer needed

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: pop up killer needed

I use another free program as well as a firewall, adaware,venus spy trap and spybot-s&d.It's called Prevx intrusion prevention. It stops any site you're on or any application modifying any part of your PC's operating system unless you give it specific permission. You have to turn it off to install anything but a couple of times it's saved me having to reinstall-some particularly nasty sites have code on them that attempts to modify your IE browser and install full programs that bombard you with ads faster than you can close them.

Xcusme

Commander

Spybot has the feature to NOT allow revisions to your registry without your OK too. <br /><br />Run Spybot<br />(upper left) click Mode, Advanced Mode<br />(lower left) click on Tools<br />Click on 'Resident' icon (main tools window)<br />On Resident window, place check marks on both:<br />Resident "SD Helper"<br />Resident "Tea Timer"

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

IMHO, All I know is that once it is in the registry it is a nightmare to remove. It just keeps changing the name and replicating itself. If you are on a network you can save your important data to the other PC on the network. If you have a second hard drive you can save the files to that hard drive and then reformat your original disk. You will have a clean hard drive to start again. Once that is done use one of the programs that people have suggested to protect yourself from the hacks out there.<br />It is a hassle to reformat because you can lose some data, but one evening and you will be clean again. Save your email addresses so you still have your contacts. Most of people can save all their data on one or two burnable cds and not loose anything important.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I've been dogged lately with popups and redirects, I run spybot and adaware - they don't fix it. Tried spy-sweeper and so far (touch wood) popups are gone. Both spybot and adaware find stuff and delete it but only spy-sweeper stopped the popups - go figure. Sometimes I feel like hitting the format command and starting over :( .<br /><br />Aldo

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

i've got the sdhelper and teatimer running but prevx has still stopped intrusions that neither spybot nor spytrap has picked up. I kept having to reinstall- 3 times in one month at one point-to get rid of them, but now I'm 4 months without a reinstall.