Pony log for 3rd, and a hydrofoil (yes, really)

rover1225

Recruit
I have a 25 foot1998 Voyager Riviera. It's a good solid boat, but like all of you, I cannot leave well enough alone. I bumped the motor a bit to gt more speed, found this guys ad https://shophydrofin.com/ and had him put one on... guess what? it's faster, it rides better, its quieter and everything I could have hoped for (went from plowing through to skimming on top of the water). So here is the dilemma. My 4stroke is a bit heavier than the 60hp 2 stroke and it sits a bit down in the back. I'm contemplating adding a short pony log in the middle. I have access to an 8' log with a heavy duty transom on it. The log will need to be short enough to not interfere with the hydrofoils that sit about mid ships between the 2 original pontoons. Does anyone have any experience adding a shorter pony log? For those of you that say 'leave well enough alone", I can assure you I simply am tone deaf to those words....i inherited that from my Moms side of the family and the medication never works. lol

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have more questions than answers.
  1. How much did your top speed increase (from this to that)?
  2. Were the hydrofins installed when you had the 2-stroke or 4-stroke?
  3. Did they mention that the location of the hydrofins needed to be at the boat's center of gravity?
  4. As a pony log will likely be heavier than your current engine pod, will it not further shift your center of gravity aft, especially important when the boat has risen up on the foils?
Keep us posted on your experience.