Pontoons: seeking feed back comparing several manufacturers

spanish moss

Recruit
We live on a 100 acre private lake and want to move from a ski boat to a pontoon. We have been shopping and want a 20' (lake restriction) mid line (middle of the pack regarding quality, not a starter or upper end package) boat with a 90 or 115 hp so we can ski our grandson... We have looked at Berkshire, Lowe, Sylvan, Bently, Bennington and Silver Wave. I did not like the painted rails on the Bentley, so I guess we are considering the others with a Yamaha, Merc or (in the case of the Silver Wave) Suzuki. I would appreciate comments from the board on these boats and any feedback on a Suzuki as I am not familiar with it. I am trying to stay in the low $20k price range.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, SM.

Surely 100 acre lake is a typo. :smile:

Are the Bentley rails painted or powder coated? I haven't looked at them lately.

Looking at new or used? For $20K you could find a nice newer. used toon in the upper end. Again I haven't priced new ones lately.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Well... I can believe a 100 acre lake and it having a max boat size.
If circular, a 100 acre lake would be a little under 1/2 mile diameter. That's about the size lake (oversize pond in a sinkhole) I learned to sail Sunfish on.

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Most lakes that size have a 10hp limit. I'd say anything or make would work in a small lake. Won't be much sking in 100 acres. :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Most lakes that size have a 10hp limit. I'd say anything or make would work in a small lake. Won't be much sking in 100 acres. :)

That was pretty much my reason for asking about the size.of the lake.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I grew up skiing on a 93 acre lake, and I thought that was small for a 50hp on a 16' boat. not sure you would need a 90hp on a 'toon on a 100 acre lake.

Then again, I have watched a 380 HP correct craft basically do donuts pulling a pair of skiiers on the lake. you basically hit your own wake

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
We bought a 24ft StarCraft with a 90 hp Merc . used for $13,000 with a trailer back in 2009 ,It was new in 2007.It was $26,000 new. Maybe you should look for a late model used.By the way a boat like mine won't pull a water skier. Maybe a tube. 22mph average speed with five adults.