pontoons on lake michigan and chicago river?

kentuckyguy

Seaman
Re: pontoons on lake michigan and chicago river?

just wondering on calm days do people take pontoons on lake michigan?

I have a buddy that lives in Chicago.. I was talking about bringing my boat up there.. I said something about going to lake Michigan and he said NO WAY would he go.. He said there is to much changes out there.. He told me that he was out one time and it was very calm and then 20 mins later was was comeing over in the boat with them.. I guess if you stay close to shore then you would be ok.. But according to him I wouldnt venture out to far...

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also can you imagine the hassle of hauling your pontoon boat in Chicago???? The traffic would be horrendous. (sp?)

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I went on a Chicago river boat tour last August and after the tour boat locked through the Chicago Harbor lock I saw this pontoon on lake Michigan.
IMG_1474.jpg

Bad boys, bad boys.
IMG_1518.jpg

A very cool place to boat, if your into the city sort of thing which I very much am.
IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There was a wide variety of boat types on the Chicago river and is a beautiful place to sight see.
IMG_1368.jpg

Locking back into the Chicago river from lake Michigan, I think this fellars Zodiac cover was up in the water. :confused:
IMG_1525.jpg

500 Horsepower lumanim/inflatable Safe boat. :cool:
IMG_1548.jpg

I was on a new Wendella tour boat, I guess this guy was derelict.
IMG_1591.jpg

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

The pic. of the 10 people on the pontoon, is it suppose to look like the pontoons are about to be sunk in the water???

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yes, lots of people have toons on lake Michingan, you really need to watch the weather though since they don't do real well in 4' chop.

There was an ad for a pontoon company and they ran one of there boats from Chicago to Macinac Island so it can certainly be done.

reidabook

Recruit

Hey guys thanks for the info. We are looking to see the sky line from 500 to 100oft away and go down the chicago river in between the buildings.Also may pull in and float in the berrier walls. i think it must be an amazing sight and feeling. What about being out at night? what about channels or bueys things we deal with in the mississippi. any undergrond rockor sand bars. obviously we will not go if there waves or storms any where near by. please respond