Pontoon trailer plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I recently purchased a 20' pontoon,no trailer. Rather than buy brand new,I'd like to build one to fit.used ones are hard to find around here. I do have a couple trailers tgat could be re-fit to accept the toon,but then I would not have them for other uses. Is there a site that has toon plans to get me started? I can weld/cut/fit it myself.

Jeep Man

Commander
I built one, or rather re-purposed one. Mine is only used to take the boat in and out of the lake, but I would have no qualms taking it on the road. I have a 20 ft as well. I started with a stripped down frame from an RV trailer. They are not hard to find and are cheap. Advantage is that it came with tandem 3500# axles, brakes tongue and lights. All I had to fabricate were the bunk mounts and the front stopbar/ winch mount/ step. Look for a 26 footer, as they are measured tongue to tail and you will end up cutting off the rear couple of feet once you set the boat in place with proper tongue weight. (easier than moving the tandem axle)

ahicks

Captain
Have you googled "pontoon boat trailer prices" to get an idea of what new is worth? Unless you have access to some really inexpensive materials and hardware, I can't imagine you're going to save a lot of money welding something up on your own.

Dakotarob

Recruit
I purchased a stripped down rv trailer and added the rails, bunk boards, lights, and bow stop and it only cost me about $400. much better than spending 2000 on a new one. pretty easy to do if you have any kind of DIY skill.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I purchased a stripped down rv trailer and added the rails, bunk boards, lights, and bow stop and it only cost me about $400. much better than spending 2000 on a new one. pretty easy to do if you have any kind of DIY skill.

A dead 2 1/2 year old thread. Please click on the Forum Help link in the sig below, read and follow the rules. Thanks.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.