Pontoon Siding Replacement

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Here is an update on my Dad's old 1999 Bennington Pontoon.

My dad died in October and left me his prized pontoon boat. It looks like Dad had a few encounters with the rocks (and boat dock) at his fresh water lake in Kentucky. His eyesight was failing, so his depth perception was kinda off a little. If you look at one of the pics, you can see where I cut out a deep and long gash on the left rear. Trying to find exact replacement siding for a boat this old was nearly impossible. I tried to patch the gash, but it look like hell....so I broke out the rubber mallet and went to work....knocking out all the siding for a total skin replacement.

I spent hours doing research on my siding options. I considered using aluminum flashing from Home Depot, but it was much too light I thought....and it was only available in brushed aluminum color. I did find some heavier stuff, but it was only available in white. I kept doing my research. Finally, I found this heavier .20 guage Navy Blue Aluminum and it was exactly what I was looking for. True, it was a little lighter than the original aluminum, but it was also much easier to work with, and made negoiating the curves much easier. I cut my panels ahead of time, and I applied the stripes the night before I started. It worked out pretty well.

This was not a "Fun" job by any means, but I was pleased with my efforts. Considering the boat had blue carpet, blue bimini top, and blue trimmed seats, the blue aluminum updated the look in my opinion. I have to restripe the doors to make some adjustments on alignment, and I have some decal work to do....but overall I think the old man would have been happy.

Next I am re-installing the fuel tanks, live wells and upholstery. The little Honda BF40 has less than 50 hours on her, so that is not a issue right now....it purrs like a kitten. Then, I MAY, just MAY take her out for a little spin in the Sebastian River.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pontoon Siding Replacement

Wow....really nice job. I hope you get lots of fun out of that boat. Sorry to hear about your dad, and yeah, he would be proud.

BTW, how do you keep the boat from sliding off of that trailer? Have you trailered the boat long distances? Just curious.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

View attachment 220951View attachment 220952

The hard part was making these curves with the aluminum. However, the .20 stuff was much easier to work with for sure. I can't imaging making the curves with the .24 and .32 stuff available.

I trailered this boat from the mountains of Kentucky all the way to the East Coast of Florida where I live with a Ford Ranger (4.0 Litre- Towing Package) with no issues at all...other than a blown tire. This is a bunk style trailer, so it is no different than any other boat. I strapped down the rear and front pontoons for the long trip, and it has a normal winch strap and safety chain set-up. In fact, I purchased the trailer down here, drove it to Kentucky, picked up the boat, and towed it back. 1800 miles round trip.

Last edited:

rhino_160

Seaman

Did I miss where you purchased the aluminum from? And the boat looks great BTW

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Rhino..I can't attach a link to this website. Send me a private nessage and I will hook you up. Its their rules...not mine. I love this forum and I don't need to **** anybody off. And to be fair, I understand their position.