pontoon regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveinVA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
searched the interweb with no luck, is there a requirement that pontoon boats have railings or fencing?
thanks

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: pontoon regulations

I don't know offhand, but I recall someone on here posted that they rec'd a warning from DNR officer for sitting outside of the rails on a pontoon boat...can't remember what state he was from. Not much help, I know...

I am curious to find out the answer myself, though.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

That kind of question needs to be directed to whoever enforces your state's boating safety regs, most likely the game and fish comission (or whatever it's called in Virginny). You'll probably have to call them, though, as the answer will probably require interpretation of one of their existing statutes.

Jeep Man

Commander

Illegal?...probably not. Dangerous?....definitely. My old pontoon had a 4' front deck outside the rail with 2 seats. Any bass boat has a fore and aft casting deck without rails. On the lake where I boat, there are several stripped down pontoon boats used by local contractors who do work for cottagers on the lake. Falling off one, especially over the front while in motion could be catastrophic.

SteveinVA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I am curious cause I am planning to build a sort fo fishing pontoon. 16 ft long by 6 foot wide. I couldn't find anything at our VA dept of game and inland fisheries (VDGIF). Guess a call is in order.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In GA (and probably other states), you must have bow rails if riding on the bow or gunnels. Not sure how that translates on a flat decked pontoon but I'd guess at least the front portion but have rails. Here is statement from GA DNR web site "Riding on Bow or Gunwale is illegal if the boat is not equipped with a railing or some other retaining device. "

lncoop

Vice Admiral

On the lake where we spend most of our time there are several barges that have been bubba modded to the extreme and have no rails. We see just about every barge reincarnation one can dream of, everything from a couple old sheets of plywood on beat up toons with an old stick steer 30 horse power plant to a shiny custom deck with a custom welded gazebo, high dollar patio furniture, house plants (yes, house plants:rolleyes:), and a brand new four stroke Honda outboard. Every time we head down there I look forward to seeing all the bubba barges and visiting with the owners. It's heavily patrolled water and none of them ever gets any negative attention. That said, it's a two thousand acre lake where everyone knows everyone and the number of jet skis, skiers and wakeboarders can be counted on two hands. Don't know what the point of my rambling is except to say that every sitch is different.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

Report back when you find out because I'd like to know. Where do you boat?

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

i know in arizona you may not sit on the gunwhales nor outside the railings while underway, that said.... railings on a pontoon boat may be interpreted differently by different officers... and of course the conditions present when operating. Here if in the fwd part of a bowrider while underway it is fine unless you sit on the edge, however laying on the fwd deck of a closed bow boat while underway will get you a ticket in a heartbeat. if your furniture encloses the area i think you would likely be fine, if the area you operate from is enclosed in some way you likely will be fine.... if not you may get a ticket. Asking by phone is a so so method of getting an answer as the person answering the phone may not be the one stopping you, better to write a letter to them describing the situation very carefully and saving a copy of the letter and the response, that way you have something to take with you to court should you wind up with a ticket anyhow. That is also the best way to deal with the DMV, and BATFE (ATF) should you want information from them.

Sean

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tracker (and I'm sure others) sell pontoons with fishing seats outside of the fence. If you can buy them in VA, that will probably answer the question. I was told by a friend who's had a pontoon for years that you can't sit out there while under way but I dont know if thats a boating reg or just common sense.

Last edited:

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I been wanting to find out about this here in Ky, But didn't find out anything yet,, But I have not seen any toon's on the lakes without the railing,

brumbyvet

Seaman Apprentice

In Tennessee it is up to the officer to determine if the law is being broken or not. On our last pontoon boat I was given a warning citation when they determined the railing around the sunpad was too short. When I asked him to show me that law written down somewhere he said I was getting smart with him. When I asked other TWRA officers they told me it was fine. Go figure... I don't believe you could get by without any railing in any state.

dwco5051

Commander

Pennsylvania;

Not legal to;

(9) Operate a pontoon boat while a person is riding outside the passenger carrying area. The passenger carrying area is defined by continuous railings or enclosed spaces intended for persons to use while the pontoon boat is underway. This prohibition does not apply when the operator of the boat is docking, mooring, anchoring or rafting the pontoon boat.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would a removable fence be the solution? Fabricate something that folds back, or have some type of retractable barrier?

Engreps

Seaman Apprentice

Pennsylvania;

Not legal to;

(9) Operate a pontoon boat while a person is riding outside the passenger carrying area. The passenger carrying area is defined by continuous railings or enclosed spaces intended for persons to use while the pontoon boat is underway. This prohibition does not apply when the operator of the boat is docking, mooring, anchoring or rafting the pontoon boat.

It's the same in Virginia. Not legal to be out of the pasanger carying area while under way. I have seen the local rangers stop boats with people in the front seats while under way. Besides that it is just not safe. They are used for fishing or lounging while stoped...

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not really sure why you'd want to sit outside the rails anyways while your underway. If your just using it for fishing purposes then what's the point of worrying?? Your not going to be sitting there while your at full throttle going from point to point. Now I can see if your worried if your trolling and sitting out on the front, i'm not sure if they consider that "under way." If that's the concern then I would think it's up to the officer, but he would be considered a pretty big prick if he stops you for trolling while sitting on the front fishing.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Pennsylvania;

Not legal to;

Same applies in Michigan. It's very clear it's illegal. I suppose even with Fishing Chairs on front deck outside the rail. If you were running a trolling motor. You Could be fined.

Packrat5296

Cadet

Found this on Kentucky website. Hope this helps.

PROHIBITED RIDING
Approximately half of boat related
fatalities result from falls overboard.
When operating a motorboat above idle
speed the operator or passengers shall
not ride on an enclosed bow, outside
protective railing of a pontoon or houseboat,
on a seat which extends six inches
above the plane of the gunwales, nor
shall they ride on the sides, back, engine
cover, back of seat, or any other obviously
dangerous position which could lead
to falling overboard.
MEETING

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Hey Packrat, glad you are on the board but please don't post to old threads, the last activity on this thread was 9 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.