Pontoon Prop Selection

pilldok

Seaman Apprentice
I’ve been using an aluminum 16” dia x 13 pitch 3 blade prop on a Mercury 150 Optimax for 17 years now but need to replace and looking at alternatives. The combo pushes a 25’ Bennington Tri Toon. Current WOT is 5050 rpm. Would like to get the WOT in what I’ve read should be 5250-5750 and also gain a little top end speed. Looking at either dropping to a 15” x 13 pitch 3 blade or 15” x 14 pitch 3 blade. Both should put me in the desired recommended WOT rpm range. Which would give me the greatest speed increase?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps something like a 16 X 11" pitch is what you need.----Doubt you can make this boat go any faster !

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It would be quite uncommon to gain the hundreds of rpms you’re looking for, by going with more pitch, I’d be sure. I think on these boats, you are very limited on adjustment, from what I hear. It’s usually a fine line between them managing to grip the water and not managing at all. Trimming out is probably most likely mostly going to just lift the lower unit out the water, before it ever wants to lift the hull. I’d think about going down an inch or two in pitch and get her in the right rpm range. Be better for the health of the engine for sure. If you want to go faster…I’d think you be better with another type of boat.