Pontoon parts?

Jeff J

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2013 Silver Wave in the fleet I manage. Very nice boat but one of the users let a tube blow out hit and the rear gate. The gate went to the bottom of the lake and now I cannot find a replacement anywhere. Silver Wave doesn't support anything more than 6 years old. I only found one fence maker online but they only deal in 25 inch tall fence. The opening for the missing gate is 20" wide x 17" tall. With a hinge and room to operate, I am thinking I need a 19" wide gate but that may not be correct.

Renters do amazing things to boats. I am also missing the lower half of the swim ladder on that boat. It kind of boggles the mind that both bolts and the strap would all let go at the same time. Can't seem to find a replacement part for it either. Does anyone know where these things can be bought or do I need to take up bending and welding aluminum in my spare time? If I do, what grade of aluminum is this stuff made of? I don't want to buy material that isn't intended to be welded (been there, did that with stainless...not fun)

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff J

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know where to source the materials? I have been searching for the aluminum tube but can’t seem to find anything close to what I am looking to match on the boat. The tube has some sort of extruded pinch tab to hold the panel.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Does anyone know where to source the materials? I have been searching for the aluminum tube but can’t seem to find anything close to what I am looking to match on the boat. The tube has some sort of extruded pinch tab to hold the panel.
The tube starts as a coil of aluminum at the log manufacturer. From there they uncoil, process, form and weld into the toon log

Call a mobile fabricator to weld up your damaged tube, or weld it up yourself if you own a tig welder and have experience

ahicks

Captain
It's going to take some homework (google and e-bay searches) for sure, but there are many different outfits that specialize in the ladders, as well as others that specialize in the aluminum railing (and doors) used on pontoon boats. Pontoon boat manf's generally DO NOT make this stuff themselves. You'll need to track them down and contact them to see if they have anything close available. MANY of them are located in Indiana.

Here's a search on "pontoon swim ladders" with "images" box checked that should give you an idea on how to proceed.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=pon...UtUt8KHSbIBKUQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1536&bih=684

Jeff J

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I may be looking at this too critical. I wanted to duplicate what was there for the missing door but it may suffice just to weld up a rectangle with a couple of tabs on each side to attach the panel. Or I could buy a little extra and put a couple of cross bars and leave it open. My bender will only take up to 1” tube and I don’t have any square dies for it since I bought it for hydraulic tubing.

I had forgotten about the ladder after doing a pretty extensive search and not finding anything close to matching. I figure I can measure what is there and buy plain material to add the missing 3 steps. It would be good practice towards building the door for me to weld up something like that.

The rear fence may prove the most challenging. It was bent back when the ski tube took out the door. If the mount screws go into blind nuts then pulling the section and tweaking it on the bench would be the way to go. If not, then it looks like the center pontoon would have to come down to remove the sheeting on the bottom of the deck.

If I am able to pull off this much welding I know of several toons that may get drains installed in the forward chambers.