Pontoon motor height question

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You can always optimize any OB/transom height with shims, engine mounts, jack plates even choppping transom down, just need to know what you're doing and what is it that you want to achieve or better.

Happy Boating

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i have been following along, while i very limited on this i believe 20 inches is very common for toons, when i re powered mine 7 years ago, i stopped by my local dealer who has new boats and takes trade ins, i walked around and measured about a dozen boats and all were 20, the boats ranged from 1960 to 2010, i went from a 60 hp to a 9.9 and i worked hard to get what speed i could, tryed ever trick i ran across

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What have found selling boats, engines, rigging combos, optimizing OB heights and being a boater myself is :

Not all hulls floats same when on plane, some deeper, some higher, depends on hull shape, weight.

Not all boats have same transom height, doesn't matter if being short or long, have found up to 2" height variations. Will depend entirely on fabricator.

Not all OB brands have same lower leg lenghts, doesn't matter if being S-L or XL ones. Some are shorter, some bit longer.

Zweet.jpg

If in pursuit of boating perfection fine tunning OB/trasnsom height for water flow at speed to skim right under upper water deflector plate as in pic, you'll have to deal with the 3 ingredient tech cocktail mentioned above.. This set-up works fantastic for any kind of boat powered by an OB.

Happy Boating

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Just wanted to let everyone know I have the motor mounted now and the cavitation plate is currently about 1-2 inches below the bottom of the engine pod. I will bring it to the lake and see how it sits when I get up on plane and adjust up or down accordingly. Thanks for all the help guys!