Pontoon Hardtop

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thank you for your service......Sir!
I'm a flight line crew chief, F-100, F-105 & F-111
How about that.
Can't wait to hear what you flew.
I flew OV-10s for five years in Germany. I was a T-38 Flight Instructor for most of the rest of the time. I trusted my life to a crew chief every time I lifted off.

Crappie Jalopy

Seaman Apprentice
Viet Nam 70-71
Thailand 72
OV-10 was kick ass in Nam. Great plane.
There were T-38 trainers in Nam.
We respected all of the pilots. They were all hero's to us.
Flight line maintenance was an incredible system. I've always missed that camaraderie and the fantastic team work.

djnordeen

Seaman
Here is a pic of the factory, Harris, hardtop. It has a complete enclosure.

Attachments

• B1C39BEC-9341-4971-843D-FDF96E21771D.jpeg
    B1C39BEC-9341-4971-843D-FDF96E21771D.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6

Crappie Jalopy

Seaman Apprentice
That's what I'm striving for.
Thank you for that.
Joining this site has been so worth it!

Rabbit929

Seaman
If it were me, I would make 2 halves, bow to stern, and tie them together with an a-frame.
this way, you could run a ridge cap vent if you want to, but it might be overkill.
I doubt I’d really bother insulating it, as a second (thinner) sheet of aluminum or pretty much anything will work well as a radiant barrier.
In my days of roofing, the biggest thing is separating Thermal Bridges. Where your outer skin meets the tubing, is a direct contact transfer of thermal energy. It only takes about an inch for that to drop off to nearly nothing.
You can insulate it if you want, but it would be most effective to use less insulation and provide some type of air gap from your outer shell and your inner to reduce thermal bridging. I would leave some electrical up there just for the future for lighting.

I live in North Dakota so snow load is a thing for me. If you only raise or lower it once a year, (if you were to go that route) I’d just use a crank winch and cable for your power mechanism on a quick detach plate.
raise it up, install pins, lower it down, install pins, remove winch, ect.
the major benefit to having it lower able would be protecting interior while not in use instead of a pita-cover! Lol

Crappie Jalopy

Seaman Apprentice
I like your (2) halves for the roof.
You're correct on the air gap for insulation value. Our sun in the summer is brutal. (1") of closed cell will stop the radiation of heat and it doesn't weigh much.
I will definitely will be running (12V) electrical wire in the roof area.
I used to hunt Huns and other game birds up in the N/W corner of N. Dakota
north of Williston. Love your state!
Thanks for the ideas.