Poll, Your home computer, Mac or PC?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
This is pretty simple and straight forward.<br />Is your home computer an Apple/Mac, or a PC?<br /><br />Feel free to add a post stating why.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Poll, Your home computer, Mac or PC?

The software of the PC is cheaper and its easier to find someone to work on it. <br />Bassy

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

At least 85% of computers use Microsoft operating system. No matter Mac have benefits over pc for some users, pc still is far more common hence offering more accessories (hard- and software) and support knowledge.<br /><br />Over time Windows has "adopted" several ideas from others (like the graphic user interface & mouse, communication protocols and their latest invention Active Directory which is a pretty close copy of Novells Directory Service).<br /><br />For pc there is a choise of OS (Linux, MS and more) but for other devices (PDA/phones and that line) the manufacturer have chosen the version (Windows or specialty).

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hello Bassy.<br />Hi there UU, haven't seen you post much lately, glad to see you are still with us.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Thanx Roscoe,<br /><br />Oh yeah, I've been reading every now and then. Pretty busy lately so not really had the time to contribute. <br /><br />I've spent some time reading older posts (incl. Sud's Chaparral horror) and other stuff. Amazing how much (good & bad) info this site has :) and how little newcomers search before placing a question.

Homerr

Commander

I've been building my own PC's for some time now.<br /><br />I'd never buy an off the shelf model again!<br /><br />H.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Anyone else care to jump in here? ^^

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

PC vs MAC, it's the same old story; Beta had a better picture that VHS, but, VHS won the VCR battle, it's the result of better marketing. <br /><br />Remember when almost everyone had a bootleg copy of DOS, then Mr. Bill decided to basically give DOS 5.0 away, got us all hooked real good and then along came Window$, the rest is history,,,,, :)

ZmOz

Captain

Let's see here...<br /><br />You can build your own PC cheaply and easily, or buy a nice already built one for under $500.<br /><br />You can't build a mac, nor can you buy one for less than a grand.<br /><br />PC software is everywhere, cheap, easy to find, lots of free downloads, etc.<br /><br />Mac software is much less available, more expensive, and almost no games exist. (good 3D type games)<br /><br />PC's are easy to take apart, fix, and upgrade.<br /><br />Macs are hard to take apart, and are full of all kinds of non standard head screws, and have very little if any room for expansion.<br /><br />A well built PC running Windows 2000 or XP is every bit as stable as a Mac. My intel based servers have been running for over 400 days at heavy loads without a single restart.<br /><br /><br />Macs suck. :p

11 footer

Lieutenant

I'm I die hard Mac guy, I'll never own anything else.<br /><br />Once you go mac you don't go back.

Link

Rear Admiral

Just horse traded for a complete commie-door 64 system. Gonna set it up just for the good ole games I used to like. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Homerr:<br /> I've been building my own PC's for some time now.<br /><br />I'd never buy an off the shelf model again!<br /><br />H.
Me too I had a ball building mine late last year, I runs so good, never ever even had a glitch! Running windows XP Pro Corporate.<br /><br />Oh, you cant move away, and leave me and ZMOZ to hold things down for ORYGUN. I know there are others from orygun here, who are they?<br /><br />Oh, sorry, dont mean to hijack the post.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I spend most of my day in Orygun, pay income taxes and property taxes but I don't get a vote or a discount so I'll leave Orygun all to you all! Sorry :cool:

11 footer

Lieutenant

So, I'm the only Mac user on this forum. wow!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Ryan T.:<br /> So, I'm the only Mac user on this forum. wow!
Let's see. If you own both, then there are 2 of you and if you don't then there are 3.<br />Look at the results. :p

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use both, but only because a particular software package I use was designed primarily (ie runs better) on the Mac.<br /><br />The value for money of PCs is amazing - I can only wonder what the price of PC hardware will be like in 10 years time. I read somewhere that Bill Gates predicts it will be pretty much zip...<br /><br />How many people here are using Pocket PC's (Windows PDA)? I'm using one called the i-Mate... which is also a phone - very handy.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I work in the printing industry and most of our files are mac. For design and graphics the pc is trash. We have the similar pc programs but they dont work as well in post script enviornment. I use mac at work and pc at home. I am comfortable with the pc and doubt I will ever be comfortable with a mac.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Macs don't even make a good boat anchor.