political nausea?

SCO

Lieutenant
Re: political nausea?

My own last post doesn't sit well with me. THis seems to be a crucial time in American history. We are actually waging a battle for hearts and minds right here. We ought to keep it up....it's a duty. The vote doesn't give the proper options: I select, yes I am nauseated too, but think we should continue the debate and brow beating as required.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

One of the reasons that we have reached a saturation point is due to the non-stop, 24/7/365 news?, punditry, talk show parade. We have to bear up to just about every state primary now, as well as the national scene. <br /><br />In the old days you might have seen a headline on your morning newspaper, a blurb on the radio, during the day, a segment on the 6 o'clock news and an obscure Sunday morning talk show. Now every body is playing to the hungry non-stop media.<br /><br />Now that Clinton's people have gotten involved, the mudslinging has started anew. May be worse than ever. Example; James Carville saying that the Republicans drugged Zell Miller.<br /><br />I think they need to shorten the time frame between the start of the process and the election. The candidates no longer have to get their message out by train and telegraph. That would be REAL campaign finance reform!

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by SCO:<br /> Hey,I guess I am a culprit. Well, Somebody has to school Mr. Scott.....
Someone has to be the disruptive student... :p

SCO

Lieutenant

For some reason I think there might be hope for you Mr. Scott. ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I, too, like debate of issues that matter.<br /><br />I am really tired, though, of the uproar over irrelevant gossip and mudslinging.

Ralph 123

Captain

James Carville saying that the Republicans drugged Zell Miller.
ROFLMAO! I hadn't heard that! That was great!<br /><br />I'm with SCO. It's part of the process. Politics is a contact sport and always has been. Just read the stuff that was being flung at Jefferson. People have always complained about it and yet participate in it. It's like a car wreck - tough not to stare at the carnage. bear in mind, if "negative ads" didn't work they wouldn't be used. <br /><br />And, I have to say, the debates here usually go way above just regurgitation of spin. There are some really great original points and arguments made here. <br /><br />I like to have my thinking on a subject challenged. W/O debate, even extreme debate, how can you be sure what you truly believe?

SCO

Lieutenant

Well said Ralph. For example, on that Gay marriage thread, I hadn't ever thought it out to the point before that I could prove that my opinion was based on logic rather than prejudice. I didn't think I was prejudiced, but couldn't explain why without following that thought process to the end.

SoulWinner

Commander

There should a third option, cause I enjoy nausiating threads :p <br /><br />Honestly, I will be so glad when November is over with. Even if Kerry wins, at least the pre-election BS will be over for three more years. On the other hand, political debate does serve to keep the real issues out there, and I think forums like this are the only place to hear about issues and facts, where you get both sides.