Polaris Jet ski - blowing water out of cylinders

scotttu

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Neighbor got shipped to Japan and had to leave his ski behind so I told him I'd clean it up and sell it for him since it's going so cheap.<br /><br />1998 Polaris SLTH Jet ski with the twin 700cc on it.<br /><br />Got it cleaned up, exhaust bolted back on (He had unbolted it to get it powder coated but never took it off)...<br /><br />Got the battery charged and put some WD-40 down the cylinders and let it sit all day.....<br /><br />Cranked it over without the plugs in it and it blew water 8 fet in the air, out of both cylinders.<br /><br /><br />Am I likely looking at a cracked head scenario or could it be worse?<br /><br />The water intake goes directly into the head from the hose attachment......<br />This pic shows the heads, but I had already put the exhaust manifold back on after the pic was taken so disregard the two empty bolt holes.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />
jetski2.jpg

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Polaris Jet ski - blowing water out of cylinders

I suspect you turned on the hose// BEFORE starting the engine// NEVER DO THAT it will fill the engine crank case with water,, now you MUST clear out the water and then get it running or you just ruined the crank berrings and the friend will be very upset. http://www.pwcweekly.com/forum/index.php?topic=22.0 read this and it covers flushing process

scotttu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I did, so in other words I may have a good running engine still?<br /><br />We were pretty good about getting it cranked without the water on - about 100 cranks until no water came out, then we filled up the cylinders with WD40....<br /><br />I'll go out this morning when it gets light and check it out....<br /><br />This would be w ay cool!<br /><br />I just recall the owner saying that you can't run the engine without water on, not even for a few seconds........<br /><br />But he's from California :D <br /><br />Thanks!! I'll try it!!

scotttu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey THANKS!!<br /><br />It took a bit but it started up, turned water on, I warmed it up and let it run and it sounds excellent - no funky noises, nothing, just ran good.<br />I had to put some gas in it too of course :) <br /><br /><br />Now to get it sold!

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

good I saw the water and figured you made that common error, good thing it was tap water, I use a process to get them running when they ingest water but it sounds like you have it fixed, I would let it run again on the hose for about 4 min, just to be sure the water is all out, dribble some auto trans fluid down the carb as it runs, this will mix with any water and burn off but it will smoke while you do it.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

nada shows a value of 1900 to 2300 with a trailer if this helps

scotttu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I looked up the valiue and saw that too :D <br /><br /><br />OK So just how long CAN this thing run without water on it?<br /><br />With that answer I'll feel a lot more comfortable starting this....<br /><br />Even the battery seems to be getting better after 3 years of sitting. <br /><br />Of course all of this was done jump starting from my truck.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

I don't run them more than 30 seconds with no water

scottatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds good - and now I know! ;) <br /><br />Actually teh guy that bought it researched it too and found the same answer, so he was pleased to see that I had found the answer (Thank you!) and got it running.<br /><br />He came over and picked it up last night! <br />My buddy JOhn, in the Navy, is most pleased - one less loose end for him.<br /><br />I didn't get much out of it except to say that our homeowners association is much appreciative that we don't have another boat lying around as they're hard to get rid of after a while....