Points open to .035

Webekin

Seaman
Well wanted to clean up the Johnson 3hp, (JWF-22), 1967, loland can't get the flywheel off! Have a harmonic balancer puller, and it will not budge! Read where I could use a heat gun to get it to break loose while under pressure. Any thoughts? Webekin
Had some suggestions in another thread, but got the flywheel off! thanks to everyone for their help. Now it was very clean under the FW! Points looked to need some file work did that, and set them to .020. When I turned the shaft the points opened up to .035! That can't be right! I set the wiper to the arrow or thought I did, so what should I be looking for to correct t this? Webekin

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Make sure you set the front coil ( points on port side ) with #1 at TDC.--------Turn the little cam screw to get maximum opening of 0.020"-----This magneto is a wonderfully simple device.-----First used in 1950 and also installed in some1990 models.-----Or visit ----leroysramblings ---for tutorial on it.----Perhaps use a meter to set them to open exactly 180 degrees apart with maximum spark output !

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you set the gap when the points are on the cam lobe

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
In my experience, points donā€™t like being filed. It works if the filed surfaces are parallel when your done but that original shiny surface gives better spark. If you just used fine Emory cloth to clean growth off the contact surfaces and didnā€™t actually remove metal, that might be pretty close to new. If you do end up replacing points, replace the condenser too and use OEM parts if you can find them. Much of what is available is total crap, especially the condensers. At least thatā€™s been my experience on the classic car side.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Points just need to be clean to show ZERO resistance.-----Set with a meter and they open at the correct time.-----Gets you maximum spark.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
In my experience, points donā€™t like being filed.
guess I should throw away my 5 points files?

the first thing they taught you in Autos 101 is filing points. you file them when you install them and every time you service them.

tphoyt

Ensign
In today words maybe polish would be a better term. I always has great results with nothing more that a piece of paper or match book.
Even used the match book as a feeler gauge in a pinch.

stresspoint

Ensign
back in the old days points could be filed to get a clean new surfacewhen pitted .
these days points are made cheap and only have a fine tungsten coat , filing them can damage that shiny surface and cause erratic firing/ cross fire inside the dizzy.
my father used to swear by filling points when he tuned a motor , i soon learned back in the 80s that points were not what they were back when i was a kid , every set of points i filed failed shortly after and needed replacing anyway .newer points ,a wipe with some solvent or a spry with isopropyl alcohol (terminal cleaner) and the use of a dwell meter meant that i did no longer need to touch the point surface ..

:) yep Scott Danforth ,chuck those files they are no longer useful for points now days .

Op , check the surface of the lobe ,it may have a worn area..
or PIA i know but use a dwell meter the get the correct gapping., you manual should give you a dwell number , its been a while so i cant remember the number for a V8 much less a 2 or 3 cylinder .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Learning how simple these magnetos are is key.-----Using a meter to set breaker points opening is the simplest , best way to get maximum spark.-----The breaker points are set to open points at the right time with magnetic fields at the maximum.----This results in maximum spark voltage to jump plug gap.-----Makes for a smooth running / easy to start motor.----Doubt it is easy to use a dwell meter on these magnetos !!

airshot

Rear Admiral
guess I should throw away my 5 points files?

the first thing they taught you in Autos 101 is filing points. you file them when you install them and every time you service them.
Same here, but my searches have shown that was the way many years back....in the past decade things have changed, recomendations have changed and my old brain is having a hard time keeping up !! Not sure if point materials have changed or not, but it seems using emery cloth has become far more popular. My neighbor is big into old cars, some nearly as old as me !!!

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
Same here, but my searches have shown that was the way many years back....in the past decade things have changed, recomendations have changed and my old brain is having a hard time keeping up !! Not sure if point materials have changed or not, but it seems using emery cloth has become far more popular. My neighbor is big into old cars, some nearly as old as me !!!
I have a 1948 Pontiac convertible that is only a year younger than I šŸ˜Š

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I've normally set the wiper at the highest point on the lobe to set point gap. For cleaning before setting gap, try fine grit wet/dry sandpaper, followed with electrical spray. To refresh, try a matchbook cover dipped in acetone.

Make sure the tapers are clean and dry before you torque down the flywheel to spec (don't over tighten).

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Note.----I have the timing fixtures.---Timing fixtures are nothing but a " time saving dummy flywheel " in my opinion.-----You can use the meter to time opening of the points.---Rotate flywheel to line up timing marks.----Lift flywheel off and adjust points to just open.

Webekin

Seaman
Ok, thanks for the the advise, I ordered 2 sets of points, 2 condensers, and the 2 coils. Installed the points, today, and the condensers. Wanted to wait on the coils as they could be the most difficult to do. But pulled the number1 and the coil looked burnt where the plug wire enters the coil. So also replaced the coils. Appears that the coils screw on to the plug wire, so I turned them until they were deep into the coil with the boot covering the opening very well. Had to remove the air intake, and loosen the plug wire clamps and also the needle valve in the front to access the clamp on one.
Old points both had a bump on the contact from arcing.

Oh, also replaced the impeller, the old one was soft and pliable seemed to be ok, but replaced it any way. Kept the old one as a backup.
Suppose I should have ordered plug wires? to go with the new plugs.

Need help to see if I have spark when the rope is pulled.
Hoping for the best.

lindy46

Captain
Check spark with an open air tester available at any auto parts store. Spark should jump at least a 1/4" gap. Don't rely on looking at spark at the plugs as that is not an accurate way of testing.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
to check for sparks just use a drill to spin the fw while you ground the sparkplug to the engine body to at least confirm the presence of spark but an adjustable gap tester is even better has uggested.

Suppose I should have ordered plug wires?... yes you should install new 7mm metallic strand wire (copper). most motorbike shops and lawnmower shop can sell you 2 x 2 feet .

utube is your friend....lots of videos to learn from front coi l===>top plug !!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I like to set the flywheel on and spin clockwise by hand before torquing down and buttoning everything up -- just to see that there is spark produced (assembly correct). Then measure like Lindy suggests to make sure the magneto is ready for prime time.

Webekin

Seaman
I like to set the flywheel on and spin clockwise by hand before torquing down and buttoning everything up -- just to see that there is spark produced (assembly correct). Then measure like Lindy suggests to make sure the magneto is ready for prime time.
Ok, will do. webekin