points and timing...

yodel3

Seaman Apprentice
Anybody know of a place on the web where a guy could get a tutorial on setting points and adjusting timing on one of these older outboards? Pictures would be excellent.

thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: points and timing...

what outboard? there are alot of them.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Want some advice? Don't beat your head against the wall looking for the "right" way to do it. Yes, there is a way to precisely set the points using a special timing tool or marks on the flywheel and armature plate. Use of the tool is spelled out in the service manual. I always used the timing tool when I was doing it every day in the shop, merely because it is so easy and quick. But the truth is that motor has a great and forgiving ignition system and will work just fine by merely gapping the points at .020" at their widest opening. If it doesn't, there is something else wrong.

yodel3

Seaman Apprentice

I appreciate that advice. In fact, I just bought new points and condensers at the local marina and the guy at the service desk said the same thing. I installed the points at the right gap and the motor started up. There were a couple of loud backfires as it was getting started, but then once it was running it seemed to do okay. Is that normal?

dan