pods v. pods

barliboy

Recruit
I have a 22' tin boat. Just had the big old Chrysler V-8 225 yanked out.
Planning to go modern by having a pod put on. There seems to be two schools of thought on pod theory: the pod must be an extension of the hull's v-bottom, duplicating the v and carrying it through the length of the 2' extension,effectively "adding 2' to the boat's length & bouyancy".
The countervailing theory goes something like this: The pod should rise up at an angle to the boat's bottom, effectively lifting the pod up several inches (both theories call for the mounting plate height on the pod to be correct both for the shaft length & manufacturer spec's (thus my Yamaha 250 DI Long Shaft = 28"). This theory is based on the assertion that the hull's creating of it's own trough as it moves forward is critical both to how the boat will handle in swells (allowing the water to fill in behind the boat and around the prop & anti-cavitation plate vs. the pod-hull extension's creating lift behind the stern thus forcing the bow down (particularly bad in steep following seas); and, in a flat sea, where the boat will also not be able to "squat in the stern", so will be bow down.

Can anyone help me understand what I have just tried to explain? Both camps are virulent; both have well-respected designers, builders, fabricators & mechanics on their side.

I do not want to flip a coin on this one. Thanks

jevery

Chief Petty Officer
Re: pods v. pods

We talking Azipod here?

ry%3D320

Seriously, post a link of what you?re mounting

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

He is talking about the thing that bolts to the transom of a high transomed boat, that provides a mounting surface for an outboard, at the correct height.

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 22' tin boat. Just had the big old Chrysler V-8 225 yanked out.
Planning to go modern by having a pod put on. There seems to be two schools of thought on pod theory: the pod must be an extension of the hull's v-bottom, duplicating the v and carrying it through the length of the 2' extension,effectively "adding 2' to the boat's length & bouyancy".
The countervailing theory goes something like this: The pod should rise up at an angle to the boat's bottom, effectively lifting the pod up several inches (both theories call for the mounting plate height on the pod to be correct both for the shaft length & manufacturer spec's (thus my Yamaha 250 DI Long Shaft = 28"). This theory is based on the assertion that the hull's creating of it's own trough as it moves forward is critical both to how the boat will handle in swells (allowing the water to fill in behind the boat and around the prop & anti-cavitation plate vs. the pod-hull extension's creating lift behind the stern thus forcing the bow down (particularly bad in steep following seas); and, in a flat sea, where the boat will also not be able to "squat in the stern", so will be bow down.

Can anyone help me understand what I have just tried to explain? Both camps are virulent; both have well-respected designers, builders, fabricators & mechanics on their side.

I do not want to flip a coin on this one. Thanks

did you ever figure out what to do?

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I think he's talking about a bracket, pods are used on bigger boats.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Barliboy posted that back in July 08. He only made 4 posts, so my guess is he has long forgotten about this forum.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I heard he's not with us anymore. Some embarrassing and regrettable 'pod' accident - doctors couldn't extract it.

If only he'd gotten to this forum in time.

Sad.

1957evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think he's talking about a bracket, pods are used on bigger boats.

no guys heres what he was talking about it for smaller boats and helps with boyance when you have to much weight in the back i wanted to know what he did because im in the prosess of building mine. heres pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2096.jpg
    IMG_2096.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2105.jpg
    IMG_2105.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2107.jpg
    IMG_2107.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 0

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

he said TIN boat...so this is what he is asking about..or WAS asking about:

http://www.explorebeavertail.com/floatationpodsintro.html

that is only one company though!

I am having them made for my new boat right now by Boyds Welding in Fla. mine are to my specs to closely fit the bottom and transom of my aluminum LOWE Ultra Roughneck.

I want my boat to float as shallow as possible so i am adding stable bouyance to the hull with flotation pods.

there was a few opinions on if the bottom of the pod should be parrallel to the hull or angle slightly upwards!!

but you can still play with your trim to get the bow up if you really want more bow rise!!

I will mount mine about 1/2" above the hull bottom and it will be parrallel....once up on plane...who wants a high bow???

these pods are sealed usually but many come with drain plugs in case you pop a hole in one. You can drain and then repair.

bob