Plywood?

Golden Arrow II

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anyone know where I could get 1/2 inch by 12 foot plywood at in mid Michigan? I am in the process of replacing the floor in my Islander and that is what is in it I believe, I forgot to measure thickness before I left the barn. I would like to keep it one piece and not have to piece it together.

Thanks,
Golden Arrow II

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Plywood?

why not get 2 pieces of 8 ft plywood.
when i replaced my deck, I used fiberglasss resin to hold the wood down the to stringers. And put weight on top of the plywood.

Try to get a good hardwood too. not pine plywood.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can do a scarf joint to join 2 pieces of plywood. With the right glue or epoxy the joint will be stronger than the plywood.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

buying a larger than 4x8 sheet can get $$$$$$, id work w 2 4x8sheets. save your money for something else along the way.

erikgreen

Captain

I know this isn't helping, but you should be covering your plywood with fiberglass or at least resin plus a little cloth or mat for water protection, and the joint between the two pieces of 8 foot won't show... no scarf needed, just butt joint it, and if you like overlap on the bottom with another piece of ply...

Erik

Golden Arrow II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found it in 3/4" x 5' x 12' now I have to decide if that's the best way to go.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I would just take angle your circular saw, and rip one side of the joint.
rip the other peice at the same angle, just upside down and in the opposite direction.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

got a sheet at hd today 1/2 bc exterior grade, $21.87 a sheet i think the 3/4 was $28-29 a whole lot easier to swallow, so u have a seam, is that worth $140 bucks you would have to spill a lot of resin to make up that difference.
your boat your call, D

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

yikes $200 for some ply!

3/4 is thicker then you need too.