Plywood cover for open bow

Arminus

Cadet
Years ago while stationed at Whidbey Island, I had a buddy who used to head out the straits to fish. I always turned him down on going along. I preferred to fish the lakes. Besides I wasn't about to head out in that little 12 footer he had. One morning he tied off in Anacortes and went in to buy some beer. When he returned the authorities were busy writing him a ticket. As he approached he could see his gas tank and some other items floating and the bow of his boat barely sticking out of the water. Seems he forgot to put the plug in the boat.

Jim Allen
There's a hook on the receiver on my boat trailer where I hang my bilge plug.

roffey

Commander
to be honest, I have forgot to put the plug back in my little fishing boat. I noticed when my feet were wet and I put the plug back in.... In a bigger boat you might not notice and the plug goes in from the wet side of the boat... what this has to do with a bow cover has escaped me.

I think a hard cover for the bow has advantages. I don't think I would use metal angle iron screwed into the deck of my boat tho... that might be asking for a huge owie and maybe a trip to the ER. I would investigate a pressure fit and or possibly bungie cords and maybe three panels you can stow when not in use? You could fiberglass it, paint it to match or wood decking like a swim deck? Just a thought...

Arminus

Cadet
to be honest, I have forgot to put the plug back in my little fishing boat. I noticed when my feet were wet and I put the plug back in.... In a bigger boat you might not notice and the plug goes in from the wet side of the boat... what this has to do with a bow cover has escaped me.

I think a hard cover for the bow has advantages. I don't think I would use metal angle iron screwed into the deck of my boat tho... that might be asking for a huge owie and maybe a trip to the ER. I would investigate a pressure fit and or possibly bungie cords and maybe three panels you can stow when not in use? You could fiberglass it, paint it to match or wood decking like a swim deck? Just a thought...
My cover is intended to be temporary. Plywood retains the strength of long grained wood by laminating cross matched sheets. Fiberglass cloth or sheet metal lack this inherent structure. I used two 4'x8' sheets but probably trimmed one away so call it 32 sq. ft. Stuffing the bow or taking a large wave creating an average depth of 1 ft. is not an unreasonable design criteria. With water weighing 62.5 lbs. per cu ft, we are talking about a ton of water. Non load bearing materials are immediately ruled out.

roffey

Commander
Not sure what you are trying to tell me but I was agreeing with you other than the sharp edges on the metal brackets your using..

Arminus

Cadet
Not sure what you are trying to tell me but I was agreeing with you other than the sharp edges on the metal brackets your using..
This Searay has built in seat bolsters which provide a ledge to rest your butt on while standing so our knees can flex and take the shock of planing in rough water. Nobody else is coming along as they would have a legitimate reason to whine. You do have to read the water and work the waves. This is OK with Susan as she gets seasick whenever I slow down. We ride the crests till we get to protected water. Fog puts a definite crimp in our style.

For years I thought about building a deck such as yours so that I could take my open bow fishing boat out on Lake Michigan or Superior....further than a mile out. Then I realized that what I really needed was the right boat for the conditions. I'm not independently wealthy yet, so that fantasy boat will have to stay in my head for now.

Many fine people have come up with innovative solutions to life's problems. Many fine people have also lost their lives while trying out their innovations.

1606930216373.png

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think if you use a center pole support with a piece of plywood triangular shaped to spread the load and 2 transverse bows like I use for my winter cover that would be fine.
Note to all, upgrade those pathetic bilge pumps that the cheap boat builders use. 500 gph is nothing, you should have 2 1100 gph units
I have the emergency 2000 gph I can drop in the bilge and hook up to the battery, its too big to permanently mount but great to have.