Plugging Two Holes in Transom

dzurinko

Seaman
Looking for an item to plug two holes in my transom. I'm not sure if the item I want even exists but Ill try to explain what it is. The manufacturer had a livewell in this mirrorcraft. The motor (500gph) was attached directly to the transom via two 90? elbows with threads and a nylon nut on the outside of the transom. One was an intake of freshwater and the other was tied into the overflow tube inside the livewell which drained back out. The livewell was inoperative. So the PO simply filled the two elbows with caulk or rubber of some type. As part of my restoration, Ive removed the livewell and elbows leaving two 3/4 inch holes at the bottom of the transom. I dont want to permenently close them with JBweld in case I decide at a later time to buy a new livewell motor and re-install the livewell. So Im looking for some sort two piece solid nylon bushing that I can screw together and seal the two holes for now. Ive done searches on iboats parts store and cant come up with anything. I need like a two piece thing that can screw together and go through one thickness of aluminum and with some 4200 I can seal those holes. Ideas? Know of an item that will do this?

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Plugging Two Holes in Transom

Put new livewell intake fittings on and leave enough of the thread showing on the outside to screw a plastic cap on that will plug the pipe,..

You should be able to find the caps in any major hardware store,......

jbcurt00

Staff member

You could also use the new livewell fittings thru the transom & use 'normal' expandable plugs to close the holes:
plug_0.png

Sized to fit the inner diameter of the livewell fitting......

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Nothing is really that permenant, you can JB weld or marine epoxy the holes closed and then just drill them out later if you decide to reinstall the livewell.

dzurinko

Seaman

All great options! I really like the pvc plug woodonglass recommended. Thats exactly what I have been looking for and havent been able to find. But maybe Im spending too much time online looking when they may be sitting on the shelf at Tractor Supply or Home Depot. If I still cant find these pvc plugs, then the livewell intake fitting with the expandable plug will work well too. And your right jigngrub, nothings perm. I wanna get this tinny in the water for a quick leak check in the next week and then decide if I want the livewell or not. So I hate to go thru a patch with JBweld only to drill it right back out. Hey woodonglass, where did you get the pic of that plug??? Thats where I need to go.