Plug wires for a Volvo Penta 3.0L

Greg Gelber

Cadet
Hello, I just bought a 2002 Stingray 190LS with the Volvo Panta 3.0L. I am having trouble getting on plane (almost a minute) with two adults at the bow and, not being able to get above 30 MPH with 4 people on board. So just to get the easy stuff out of the way, I just changed the plugs, the distributor cap, cleaned the spark arrestor and butterfly valve on the carb. I'm doing a compression test today and a timing check this weekend. I was told to replace the spark plug wires just so that it's all-new but, can I get away with AC-Delco wires (or similar) from an AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts or do they have to be specific for marine use?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm doing a compression test today and a timing check this weekend.

Unless the plugs looked like they were not firing, I would do the compression test first

You can use any good quality auto wires provided they fit

Greg Gelber

Cadet
The compression test showed all 4 cylinders at 160 psi. Besides the changes I mentioned above, I sprayed half a can of carb cleaner in the carburetor could hear it starting to run better. So I guess the jets were gummed up.

So back to the original question of what plugs to use. I went to NAPA, Advanced Auto and Auto Zone and none of them could find equivalent wires. The only place locally that sells wires for boats is West Marine and they want $150 for a set. Online, boat part sites charge between $30-$60 so I guess I'll just find some online. Any suggestions?

alldodge

Staff member
They make some good cut to fit
Not sure without checking but your motor should have the Delco EST distributor. If this is the case search for Delco EST wires. Found a set for $30. Also, the wires can be longer and can use 1/2 a V8 set