Pledge of Allegiance Unconstitutional !!!

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer
This is an article That I read on the web. What would they think of next. :confused: <br /><br /><br />Judge Rules Pledge of Allegiance Unconstitutional <br />Reported by Scott Lawrence <br />September 14, 2005 - 1:01PM <br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> <br /> By DAVID KRAVETS= Associated Press Writer= <br /><br />SAN FRANCISCO (AP) _ The Pledge of Allegiance was ruled unconstitutional Wednesday by a federal judge who granted legal standing to two families represented by an atheist whose previous attempt to get the pledge out of public schools was rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court. <br /><br /> <br /><br />How can this be unconstitutional? Could someone please elobrate and explain this to me. I am confused....

ehenry

Commander
Re: Pledge of Allegiance Unconstitutional !!!

Thats the Left Coast for ya ! ! ! !

vipzach

Lieutenant

"one nation under GOD"....... we can't talk about government and god in schools.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Can you believe people are wasting the courts time and money over these words.<br /><br />They must be truly bored.<br /><br />Ken

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Guess who's behind the lawsuit. Newdow, the very same self-important weiner that filed suit a couple of years ago. He now has 3 anonymous families he is representing.<br /><br />I wonder what happened to O'Hare, the lady that got prayers taken out of school. ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the existence of the phrase is inconsequential, why are you so upset about it?<br /><br />The ruling was that the phrase, "under God" was religious, and therefore in violation of the people's right to not have religion forced upon them by the government.

Braxton

Chief Petty Officer

they should give up all there money, it has God on it. i bet you won't see that happen. just my 2cents worth.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

I would hope that removing "under God" would be a solution. The next argument would be that forcing children to swear allegiance is wrong. Next comes banning the Star Spangled Banner, because it glorifies war.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hm. I'm starting to think that Newdow might be a watered down, Anti-Christ, wannabe Lite. Sheez! What kind of poor, miserable soul is he? I almost feel sorry for him.

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our forefathers and others made up all these things to help people out, now todays modern man or woman thinks it is wrong. I sure am getting tored of all the bleeding hearts taking our country away from us. Just a select few are talking for the many. People start with one thing and the next then we all loose what was the great country we had. And had is the word, I love my country but my government scares the hell out of me.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Here's a bit of irony for ya: The pledge was written in 1892 by a Baptist preacher who purposefully did not include the any reference to God because he wanted it to be patriotic, not religious. This during a time when a reference to God would not have been controversial.<br /><br />The words "under God" were added by Congress, in 1954 during the cold war, because they thought it would distinguish us from the godless communists.<br /><br />"One nation indivisible...," personally it is beyond me how "under God" could offend anyone, but if y'all (California) wants it out, go ahead, it won't offend me none to put it back like it was before.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

I say, if you don't like it, DON'T SAY IT!!!! But don't prohibit me from saying it, as I BELIEVE IN GOD!!! It's that simple. Next we won't have Thanksgiving. Try taking away Christmas and Christmas vacation, soo how far that goes. Oh right, the will/interest of the many does not matter, it's the one screwball with the ego to massage that the bleeding hearts will side with.<br /><br />I say keep government in big business (regulations and controls to a point to protect the average consumer) and get government out of my (personal) business.<br /><br />No where in the constitution did it ban or prohibit religion, it prohibited ONE government sponsored religion. We need some judges who actually read the constitution!

KRS

Banned

Not sponsored.... don't know where you got that. It prevents the gov't from respecting one establishment of religion over another, it doesn't prevent the mere mention of religion.

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

David, the constitution in addition does not specifically allow the relation of any religion.<br /><br />With that being said, I am an atheist, an argument I will not get into( no win situation), and I personally don't care. The words of religion mean nothing to me. It is the actions of individuals that actually matter. <br />Should someone who does not believe, be forced to say these things? <br />That is the argument. You can say that a child, I can not recall a time since I was 11 or 12 that I have recited the pledge, may or may not recite the pledge if they chose but that is not the case. As a society we continuosly lament the ideal that teachers no longer have control of the classroom. Yet, students are still taught that teachers are an authority figure. Granted, many try to push that they(teachers)overstep their bounds, a differnet issue altogether. When a teacher tells a child to stand and recite the pledge with few exxceptions that child will do as told. Is this the right way to teach, with regards to the "under god" reference? I don't know, to be absolutely honest. To simply say if you don't like it don't say it is irresponsible when it comes to impressionable children. This debate, in my opinion, can run much deaper than the pledge issues. If you examine the core issue I think you might find yourself on different sides depending on the specifics.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

DaleT, the children are not required to say the pledge, it is optional.<br /><br />And, if you look at history, our nation was actually formed "Under God".<br /><br />Its the old freedom of religion vs freedom from religion.<br /><br />Ken

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

This won't stand. This is the second time that the rogue San Fransisco 9th Ciruit Court of Appeals has done this. The first time the decision was struck down by the SC, it will be this time as well.<br /><br />The sick part is that both Newdows daughter and her mother do not agree with him. The guy is a miserable disgruntled grandstander who is trying to establish a sense of identity by these actions.

ebbtide176

Commander

daleT makes a good point. and like telmann listed recently, new ideas should be considered. not that anyone i've ever known can't have new ideas...<br />but i see that side of the situation. i also see the judeo-christian roots of the forefathers. and that government can't make anyone pledge allegiance to anything other than our country. <br /><br />i just haven't seen much (any really) info showing where our forefathers listed acknowledgement of God is forbidden in government and/or public meetings. quite the contrary is my opinion. i truly believe that the majority of our initial representatives specifically mentioned God in their meetings, as it was probably a majority issue. but they didn't make/force anyone to feel the same. <br /><br />i don't think following the same stmts causes anyone fault, since that is within the heart, unless it is an issue of pride. JMHO<br /><br />it makes me realize it may not be a majority issue anymore. i guess if its struck down, then we'll know soon enough...

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Isn't it our constitutional right to freedom of speech? So forcing those that wish to say it by silencing them is wrong IMO. This is doing nothing but confusing our children. The whole conception of this just makes me want to puke.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Well I think the whole thing is stupid. I said the pledge every school day for 9 years, and you all know how I turned out with regards to religion. These are kids, mostly little kids, who don't really look at this like we do. I'd bet money that kids K-6 don't really care one way or the other, unless they've been taught to care by their brainwashing parents(both sides are guilty). Otherwise, it's just 2 extra words they have to say before they sit down and start class, at least thats how it was for me and my friends.