please help, want to take dad fishing this weekend, but need your wisdom!!

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1997 Gmc yukon 5.7. I have no turn signals,hazards or brake lights. The third brake light does work however. I found that if I push the turnsignal lever forward that the signals and the hazards do work normally, but I still have no brake lights on the truck. Evidentally the signal switch is screwed up. My fuse block says for fuse #1 that it controls the hazards and the stop light. Does anyone know if wires for the brakes run to anything in the steering colum? I truly think this is all interelated but I wanted your suggestion before tearing into the steering colum.
I cant take dad fishing for fathers day w/ out fixing the lights.

Thanks Steve

myoung84

Seaman
Re: please help, want to take dad fishing this weekend, but need your wisdom!!

brakes should run to a button located at the brake pedal.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

does your interior light (dome) work. they or the dash lights are usually tied into the brake and tail lights, as a warning of a blown fuse.

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

does your interior light (dome) work. they or the dash lights are usually tied into the brake and tail lights, as a warning of a blown fuse.

The interior,dash and tail lights work as they should.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Brake lights and turn signals use the same filament in a dual filament bulb. When the turn signals are not in use, stepping on the brake actuates the brake switch on the brake pedal lever and the brake lights come on. If you are braking and making a turn at the same time, the flashers interrupt the brake light on the side on which you are making the turn while the other side remains constant on. When you are turning without using the brakes, the flasher obviously flashes the brake/turn filament on the side to which you are turning. All of this means the turn signal switch very likely is the culprit. You know the wiring is ok because the four-ways work. That button fires both brake/turn filaments. Unless you know exactly what you are doing during the steering wheel removal process, do not attempt this project. The airbag can go off making this fix a lot more costly than it would have been to have a pro do it. If they screw up it's their problem.