Please help me with my new Evinrude...

jonboatbassin

Seaman
I just got my 'new' boat this evening, new to me atleast. First, what year is the motor? The model# is 32953A. Second where can I get parts for this motor at?? I was inspecting the shift and throttle cables and found that the shift cable is broken at the motor and there doesnt seem to be any movement in the throttle cable when I 'give it gas'. I would REALLY REALLY appreciate help on where to get these parts. Ive got less than 2 weeks to get the boat goin good for fishin.<br />Thanks alot in advance.

jonboatbassin

Seaman
Re: Please help me with my new Evinrude...

ok, just went and looked at the motor some more and found the year 1979 on the starter so i guess this is the motor year? <br />as far as the cables the shift cable is definately broken but i dont know what the deal is with the throttle cable/handle. it seems like it isnt always catching when i push the handle and bring it back. i can hear it making a clicking/ ratcheting sound in the handle thing when i move it and if i go to the motor and move the cable manually all the way down, then it will work when i push the handle down but nothing happens when i bring it back up. and when im moving it manally at the motor the handle never moves. i hope you guys can understand this, its kinda hard to explain. if you can help me with this problem PLEASE let me know.<br />thanks again

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, JBB.<br /><br />Please tell us more about your boat and engine.<br /><br />Sounds like you need new control cables at least, maybe control, too.<br /><br />Have you tried an Evinrude dealer?<br /><br />Good luck. :)

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

need name of motor . sound like you need to replace both cables .find them at a dealer .if no dealer check ebay.com.there is a parts section on this site.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

jonboatbassin <br />Measure the length of you current cable and order a new one from the link below.<br /><br /> Cable

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

JonBoat..... There is no such number as 32953A pertaining to a Evinrude. Double check that model number. A 33953 would be a 1969 33hp Evinrude, a 35953 would be a 1979 35hp Evinrude. Let us know what you find.

jonboatbassin

Seaman

Sorry i wasnt aware of my typo, the model# is 35953 si it is a 79 like i thought.<br />Anyone know how/where i could buy new controls?

NMplayer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The good folks here just helped me with a similiar problem. Ebay is the way to go.

jonboatbassin

Seaman

thanks for the info guys.... now my main problem is the throttle controls/cable. ok when i push the throttle forward the cable does slide at the motor and give it gas but if i bring the throttle back the cable doesnt slide back. but then i can slide it back manually at the motor and i can give it gas again,etc,etc. Why arent the controls bringing it back down when i let off? Is this how its supposed to be? Ofcourse Im doin all this with the motor off so with the motor on would it work right? I know i sound ignorant but I am to this stuff. this is my first boat with console steering so i dont know how things work exactly. If you know of somehtin i could check or look at and if you just know anything that might help me let me know.<br />thanks again

D

DJ

jonboat,<br /><br />The cable must be secured at both the control box and the motor end. The control box end is secured internally. There should be a clamp block at the motor end, just inside the cowl pan.<br /><br />If it is secured, and the cable only works one way, the cable is broken inside the sheath.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

jonboatbassin <br />Exactly the same thing will happen with a broken cable. It will allow you to push it from the control, but not let you "Pull" it back, because it's broken somewhere in-between . Disconnect the cable from the throttle lever at the motor so that it's free to move and try to pull it out. I've found that when I have broken a cable, it usually tends to be close to the motor and where the first bend starts.

jonboatbassin

Seaman

well i just got done takin apart the controls to check the throttle cable and sure enough it was broke even tho the guy said it was new? looks like im gonna have to buy a new throttle and shift cable before i can get it out on the water.<br />thanks a ton for the help guys

jonboatbassin

Seaman

ok, one last ignorant question... are the shift and throttle cables the same exact cable? i know its 2 different cables but are the cables the exact same? from lookin around for some online it looks like they are listed as the same so i thought i would make sure. <br />thanks again

jonboatbassin

Seaman

i need to order these today or tomorrow so if someone can tell me for sure if they are the same cable i'd appreciate it.<br />thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

jonboatbassin <br />They are the same.