Please Help Me Make My Boat Look Cool: "Star Wars" Gauges

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Please Help Me Make My Boat Look Cool: "Star Wars" Gauges

HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE

YES Steve is out of line and YES a 19 yr old MAN has every right to buy himself an old boat BUT We don't need to just summarily dismiss Steve and his jon boat.

Steve you have us all wrong! You are in the right forum but you have the wrong attitude. There are PLENTY of us here with little boats and if you'll read the threads in my signature you'll know that in spite of having a large boat, I am FAR from rich.... also if I see someone intentionally try to swamp your boat, as soon as I know you are ok I'll be running them down and handing them over to the police if I possibly can! I suggest that instead of just stomping your feet as you go away that you get the chip off of your shoulder and know that you ARE welcome here if you have a million dollar yacht or just a couple barrels strapped to a pallet.

Tyler, welcome, buying and selling in the forums is prohibited here BUT don't go buying anything just yet... I'll talk to a friend and I'll pm ya if I can help.

Philster

Captain

Well... maybe I can get me hands on them there Star Wars gauges.

I pass the boneyard Frank A. mentions a few times a week. Frank, if they are really good boneyards, I guess I should take a look for the sake of the OP's youthful enthusiasm, huh?

I'd be glad to ask or dig around. It's my stompin' grounds anyway.

tybouf
, come Friday, I will take a pic and hit the boatin' boneyards by the bridge.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

BTW Tyler, you DID make one small mistake.... those aren't star wars gauges, they are KNIGHT RIDER gauges.

think trans am's, hair gel, and leather pants!

RogersJetboat454

Commander

HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE

YES Steve is out of line and YES a 19 yr old MAN has every right to buy himself an old boat BUT We don't need to just summarily dismiss Steve and his jon boat.

This one sounds like it's for me... yep pretty sure of it.

I have nothing personally against Steve, and hope he sticks around. My only issues with him was charging in here to tell a grown man he was foolish for buying a boat, and assuming what Tyler's financial situation was with out even knowing the guy or asking a few questions.

All the young man wanted was advice on his gauges...

As far as Steve owning a jon boat, I couldn't care less if he has fun out on a paddle boat or canoe, and for all I know his jon boat could be in far better shape then the crap I boat on. What ever gets you on the water, right? My comparison between a new jon and motor VS what Tyler probably paid for his boat was simply to illustrate the fact that Tyler probably didn't need to sell an organ to get what he has. Wasn't meant to be a dig, bash, or a class thing. Again, what ever gets you out on the water is good by me. :)

Think I have posted enough OT posts on this gentleman's thread. I'll shut up now unless I happen to come across a set of gauges for the fellow. ;)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Tyler, I was looking at boats this winter and one of the Bayliners I looked at was a bowrider with an outboard, and it had the cool gauges you seek. (Unfortunately, the gauges were about the only thing on that boat that was cool...) I can say definitively that outboard Bayliners had those panels.

Good luck finding one!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Phil: The specific one I was thinking about is run by an old timer named Chuck. "Before You Give Up, Try Chuck" As with most Jersey people, he tends to be a little "different" than us on the clean side of the river. He requires that you call first and tell him what you need, and you must be specific. He usually will not let you in the yard.

His number is: 856-467-1629 Strange: I can drive it but not give directions. All I remember is that it is the first right past the bridge (about 1/2 mile) and then fuss around a couple of back roads.

Philster

Captain

Great, Frank. I am gonna call him. I know where he's at and would have no problem finding him if he actually had the part(s) in question. I would stop by Friday for sure.

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Tyler dont let the old guy get you down, I Bought my first boat at 17.5 and probably should have listend to some of these old guys (no hurt feelings right? :)) but it was a good investment in myself and i now have a project boat to do what i want with and have my other boat for fun;). any ways Awesome gauges looks cool i wish they would fit my boat and philster and don should be able to help locate you some if not give you some advice on where to get them. and if your that enthusiastic about getting them maybe you could take them apart and change the colors to the way you want, I did that on my sisters corolla with some paper and new LEDS

Ryan

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

PS. Please post some picture of your boat we would all love to see it so you can show it off thats what iboats is all about (not really but hey)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

This one sounds like it's for me... yep pretty sure of it.

guess again rogers.... I most certainly was not gunning for you..... If anyone specific then it was the newbies that dogpiled the guy and told him to get lost..... I agree that he was out of line and needed to be told so but repeatedly attacking him in an open forum and trying to chase him away permanently wasn't the way to do it.

I'm gonna go look at a friend's I/O bayliner in the next day or so..... he has the gauges Tyler is looking for and hates em.... I MAY be able to hook him up but I have to see if they have the correct setting available on the rear...... I also know where there is another bayliner with an outboard.... the boat is junk so the gauges may be a possibility.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

I agree the gauges on the left are better...and being a big Star Wars fan myself do not see any resemblance to that movie...however I agree to the Night Rider reference!

Smoke I have to agree with you regarding Steve's comments. I was wrong of him to make them but that doesn't mean he should be ran off the boards. I think we are all better than that here and have a great group of helpful people on this board. (which is why I always come back!)

Oh wait....EDIT: They look like Battlestar Galactica gauges!!!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok guys.......that is enough.....one more .....and click !

this is a thread about gauges.....the op wants gauges on a b-liner ob......that simple.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I agree the gauges on the left are better...and being a big Star Wars fan myself do not see any resemblance to that movie.

if you look at eh gauges on the left.......the tunnel type look is the same as the look of luke flying thru the channel on the death star...just before he blowed it up !

bgc

Ensign

Tyler,
Try;
Checkers Marine
3280 West Stein Road La Salle, MI 48145
(734) 243-2683

Or:

Phone: (877)421-2371

Lanier Marine Liquidators

106 Henry Grady Highway
Dawsonville, GA 30534

Late 80's gauges, they do have a distinct look, good luck on your search.

IMG_1273.jpgThis is my 1988 SunRunner 235 dash

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Bad news..... that Faria Tach available is for the I/O only. Look it up ;(

tybouff

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Steve,

It's alright. You were just expressing honest concerns... I appreciate that. I also agree with what you are saying about going into debt for a boat when I am nineteen. Trust me, this is not mu #1 priority though. I have three younger brothers and two of them helped me buy it. We got the sucker for a whopper deal. I am actually almost done with college (I funded most of it myself) and I have a five-figure savings account. No worries... no hard feelings. I really appreciate your honesty. I will be careful with high speeds too. I am not planning on operating at those speeds a whole lot... just when my uncle with a brand-new Malibu wants to race me haha.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I think the left one looks more Star Wars-y. The vanishing point of the tach/speedo remind me of the opening text in the Star Wars movies.

As said before, check with the graveyards. There are quite a few here in FL, and there's lots of dead Bayliners. You can try my local guy; Don's Marine Salvage 727-576-8577

Good luck!

tybouff

Seaman Apprentice

75mph with a 150 on a Bayliner is a bit optimistic there pard'ner. You'll be luck y to get much over 50. I can't imagine why you would want those gauges, but to each his own.

My boat mechanic guaranteed the boat would do 65-75 mph. 150 is just what's written on the cowling. I had the engine rebuilt and the boat is a Cobra... the hull is not as deep as a Capri. We will see how fast she really goes soon enough, I just want a speedo that can read it.

tybouff

Seaman Apprentice

If your friend wants to get rid of em and they work, I would be glad to buy them off of him. Let me know how much he wants. One thing is for sure, I will NOT pay outrageous sums as advertised on ebay. Over $100 for a set is ludicrous. Thanks for your help.
guess again rogers.... I most certainly was not gunning for you..... If anyone specific then it was the newbies that dogpiled the guy and told him to get lost..... I agree that he was out of line and needed to be told so but repeatedly attacking him in an open forum and trying to chase him away permanently wasn't the way to do it.

I'm gonna go look at a friend's I/O bayliner in the next day or so..... he has the gauges Tyler is looking for and hates em.... I MAY be able to hook him up but I have to see if they have the correct setting available on the rear...... I also know where there is another bayliner with an outboard.... the boat is junk so the gauges may be a possibility.