Please HELP me 1972 125 HP Disengaging forward gear under power

Bought a 1972 125 hp Evinrude Hydro-electric shift outboard as a basket case, upon assembly found prop shaft to be damaged where thrust washer wore on splines for reverse gear. Replaced prop shaft, with matching number shaft, replaced washers and bearings, inspected pump, gears and engaging cog, (also cog facing correct direction),replaceded shift solenoids and diaodes all were adjusted and tested per service manual specs., replaced all oil seals refilled with proper oil. Now eveerything works but upon application of throttle around 2/3 to 3/4 rpm (2500-3000) it will disengage foward gear until rpms are reduced which it then re-engages. Only things not replaced were housing, drive shaft, gears, and pump.I don't beleive it is electrical as it re-engaes does not shift to nuetral, could it be a misadjusted solenoid? Or problem with pump misdirecting oil to slide selector cog? Other than this motor runs strong, hate to replace it, new lower unit $900 not an option. Need any and all advise, please. Thanks Bob

Last edited:

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Please HELP me 1972 125 HP Disengaging forward gear under power

I'd check the shift switch in the control box. Or shift linkage maybe needs to be adjusted.