Please don't laugh

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Please don't laugh

Let's apply some laws of physics and hydraulics to this issue. 1) Under way the plug is actually high and dry except if the lever type is pointing down so zero water would enter the boat until it went off plane. So even if the plug does get pulled out, I can't image anyone not noticing the wet floor long before the boat goes under. A very good reason to carry a spare plug or two). 2) If installed from the outside, water pressure is actually trying to the force the plug in tighter which is opposite if installed on the inside. 3) So which would you rate a higher probability - A) vandals pulling the plug from the outside, B) debris pulling it out from the outside, or C) water pressure pushing the plug out while docked or beached and in that case the boat is generally not attended.

My conclusion? It doesn't matter. All three have about the same chance of failure.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I've owned boats with both interior and exterior rubber plugs. I have NEVER had a problem with exterior plugs. I've had the levers flip down for whatever random reason, but as the post above mentioned, water pressure pushes it in.

Now interior plugs... I had one of those pop itself free. It was a T type plug, I put it in but forgot to tighten it down. It lasted through the launch, but popped shortly after docking it. Luckily I was still in the boat and noticed it. This wouldn't have happened with an exterior plug.

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I put in my lever type plug from the outside, I always push it in and then tighten before pushing the lever up. Even with the lever down you have to turn it to loosen it to get it out. Are people just pushing it in and then pressing the lever up without tightening it?

shrew

Lieutenant

When the boat is in the water the boat is displacing water. Think of it this way. If you were to drill a hole in your boat while it was in the water, would the water from the bilge drain out, or would the lake, pond, oceanwater water flood in? ;)

The drain plug really should be inserted from the outside so water pressure pushes the plug IN. Otherwise water pressure would be constantly trying to push the plug out of the hole and into the bilge if it were installed from the inside.

I've seen people install them from the inside. I've also seen people pour water in their gas tank when they mistook it for the water fill, and run boats aground when on the wrong side of a marker.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

My humble opinion, having had several set-ups and currently having a couple:
Screw-in "garboard" plugs go in from the outside.
Rubber plugs, if you can reach the area, go in from the inside.
Always carry a few extras of whatever type you have. I even carry the type that doesn't go with the particular boat, out of habit or to help out someone.
Rubber plugs get old and loose their seal. I'm talking about after 10-15 years in salt water.
Tie a line to the plug, ESPECIALLY if it's an outside rubber plug.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When the boat is in the water the boat is displacing water. Think of it this way. If you were to drill a hole in your boat while it was in the water, would the water from the bilge drain out, or would the lake, pond, oceanwater water flood in? ;)

The drain plug really should be inserted from the outside so water pressure pushes the plug IN. Otherwise water pressure would be constantly trying to push the plug out of the hole and into the bilge if it were installed from the inside.

I've seen people install them from the inside. I've also seen people pour water in their gas tank when they mistook it for the water fill, and run boats aground when on the wrong side of a marker.

I can't recall the exact conversion factor, but the pressure on the plug is only about 2 PSI at most (when the boat is sitting still), so the pressure either direction is not really a big issue. I figure the force on that plug is at most about 1 pound, UNLESS something pulls on the plug. That is why I prefer to put my non-threaded plug in from the inside on my outboard powered boat.

TerryMSU