Play in steering wheel and outdrive

Jersey Guy

Seaman
2000 Crownline 266BR
Bravo 3 Outdrive

The steering wheel has a 1 inch play from side to side and the boat drifts when moving a slow speeds. I also have to take turns wider than I did on my previous 21 foot boat.

The outdrive can also be moved by hand from side to side about 1 inch +

The boat is 21 years old and runs great. Do I repair it or let it go and what am I looking at in costs?

Commander_47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Check your steering cable.

Sloppy, stiff, loose lousy steering is almost always due to a stretched, rusty, kinked and old steering cable and linkage.

Easy to do. Can be a PITA to get to some areas though. I have done this myself on many boats.

Nice little link here to a kid doing the job on a different boat.

Getting rid of an otherwise really nice boat for a$100.00 - $200.00, or so, part might be like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
bow wander is common. however go back and look at the tiller arm when someone moves the outdrive

Sunburn71

Seaman Apprentice
Thought I would chime in here.... I have a 2000 Crownline 266 and had/ have the same problem. I had really bad play at the stern drive due to the gimbal ring/ tiller arm and pin being worn out. I fixed that and the boat was way better. I still have play at the steering wheel end due to a worn out steering cable. I would also note that the Crownline hull wanders worse than any other boat I've been on. It is probably why the steering gets worn out in the first place. I aim to replace the steering cable and will post up the process just to help others if possible.

gr8knurlin

Seaman Apprentice
Every boat I've ever owned "wanders" at slow speeds. The Regal fast track hull was the worst but even the Four Winns & Formula deep hulls wander. I had my gimbel, u-jointsand steering cables replaced and it was a little better but still had almost an inch play in the wheel/drive and at trolling speed requires constant correction. Up on plane she's tight as a nuns.... but when putting around they are all sloppy.