Plastic vs wood? In your interior.

I just recently did some remodeling on my VIP interior. I found that a bunch of the lower sections of wooden seat supports were completely rotten about 3 to
4 inches up from the carpet. Same with the engine cover. I figured it was due to the boat being kept uncovered and when it rained it would soak the carpet and all the wood parts were setting right on the "wet rug" until it would dry itself out again. The wood acts like a straw. It soaks up the water over and over again until it become rotten. Well I found a solution. I got some scrap pieces
of 1/2" thick white plastic panels Lexan type material. I used it to replace many
of the areas where the rotten wood was. It was cheap it will never rot! You can cut it like wood with a band saw. And many shapes and contours as well.
I had to use 1/8" thick aluminum to brace my engine cover at the bottom edge.
But you cannot tell it was added. I know now why more and more manufacturers are using less wood and more fiberglass and plastic in their boats.
It last longer and won't crumble like wood does.

Gods Favor VIP 1800 :):)

Rottie

Cadet
Re: Plastic vs wood? In your interior.

I used 1/2 plastic wood for my front door to the bow and am going to use the same to fabricate speaker boxes. I really like it and it sands quite well too. If I ever have issues with my floor or seat bases I will do the same. email me some pics of your work if you wouldnt mind.

tsoft @ bmts . com

remove the spaces, i put them in to avoid getting spammed.

Thx Steve

Sure Rottie, no problem! We purchased our boat knowing it had some needs
for interior work. Custom work is my specialty! I have been customizing wheeled toy's for about 15 years. And now I put my skills to work on our VIP.
So far I have found good uses for the 1/2" thick white plastic. And if you want
to remove it later and replace it with padded panels just un-screw it take it off.
You can even use it for the patterns to cut the wood backing. I just finished a modified seat box for my driver seat. I paid $30 for the whole seat on ebay.
A cat had scratched the "H" out of it and pulled out a big chunk-o-foam.
but only on one seat cushion. The rest of the seat was spotless. I made it so
the rear section lifts up for storage space underneath. Then the driver seat back can aslo be lifted up and storage space under it . I put 2 pair of binoculars, first aide kit, tool kit, coffee can (ash tray) , paper towels, rag bag, oil, manuals,
etc. All underneath the seats and when it's closed up you can't tell anything is under there.... I'll send you some pics. I have to take the small ones.
But I have several at the house pc that I can send you right away.

Thanks for your 2 cents!
Gods Favor VIP 1800:):):rolleyes::rolleyes:

rocky100

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey all!

I thought VIP boats advertised "no wood"--thats`s why i bought mine (well, one of the reasons)-----it`s a 2001-anyone know if that year has wood?
thanks in advance,

rocky

Rottie

Cadet

Mine is a 1990 and has wood however I do not know what year they stopped using wood but someone else may have that info

Rottie, Be careful trying to cut that plastic out in a circle ! A band saw won't
work. Tried cutting with a jig saw? What a female dog! It will weld itself back together on ya. It gets so hot it melts back after you cut through it.
The thinner stuff works better try 1/4" thick stuff for speakers. This can then be
attached to thicker material, painted wood , etc.

Sea hag

Gods Favor VIP 1800:):):rolleyes:

officertucker

Recruit

I'm in need of new back to back lounge seats for my 1988 VIP Vision and CAN NOT find any replacement seats that have the same 6" base. does anyone have any suggestions or know where they can be found?

Thank you in advance