Plastic Sheets for Boat Floor? Cooler seats?

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,<br /><br />I am just learning the basics of boat building and thinking of replacing the plywood floor of my 1990 I/O Mach I. This boat is an open bow, two swivel seats, and one bench seat in the back with a large padded engine cover. It has a new motor and a rebuilt outdrive and I am slowly changing it into more of a fishing boat. I have just recently introduced the boat to salt water and the hull is in great shape. After investigating my loose seat, I noticed that my plywood is rotting. It looks like my stringers are ok and the foam is damp, but not soaked. I am thinking of replacing the floor with plastic (http://www.plasteak.com/Rawmaterial/kelroninfo.htm) and have some beginner questions:<br /><br />1. Is the goal to completely seal the floor so all water that falls in the boat drains on top of the floor back to bilge area in engine compartment? If so, should I seal my vented ski compartment storage area?<br /><br />2. Will the old floor easily pry up in full pieces if it is not too rotten? <br /><br />3. How do I attach plastic plywood to stringers (screws with sealant?) and what should i use to seal wood against hull on the edges?<br /><br />4. I want to rip out the rotten back seat and replace it with 2 padded cooler seats side by side...Any good ideas on how to fasten coolers to floor so they can easily be removed? (right now I am thinking ratchet straps from handle to ring on floor which is not very clean looking)<br /><br />5. Any ideas on what I can do with ski storage area (I fish and seldom ski)<br /><br />Thanks!

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Plastic Sheets for Boat Floor? Cooler seats?

Zoom50,why not just replace the rotten wood that you find.Unless it's all rotten that's quite the undertaking and expense.Also do you think you could change or convert your ski storage area to a live well?