Plastic prop

Sarsky

Cadet
I was given a gamefisher 15hp. It came with a plastic prop.... are they any good or should I switch it out with a metal? How do you tell what the pitch is and is there anything else I need to pay attention to for replacements

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Good to go while not boating near shores as not to break the prop if hitting something hidden underwater. If no info is stamped on the prop body or blade remove it and take it to a prop shop and have it measured as to know the diam and pitch. But without any wot rpm numbers won't know if it's any good powering the boat you intend to power it with to have fun..

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Ok for the recruit, what do you mean by ”wot”
WOT stands for Wide Open Throttle or Max Acceleration. Is the current prop a non through exhaust prop ? which means the exhaust system it's not located at the prop but rahter under it ?

Happy Boating

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not being there and seeing for myself, your plastic prop could be a fiberglass enforced prop, IDK. However, it will flex a lot more then an aluminum prop will. That can work in your favor sometimes at shoreline speeds hitting things, but not the best type prop for high end speed. JMHO

Sarsky

Cadet
There is a exhaust port right above the prop( I assume it is). I tried to start it for the first time today, it didn’t go well. After pumping the fuel bulb gas started to leak out the port on the port side of the lower unit. It also started leaking at the gasket between the upper and lower. To top it off the pull string stopped recoiling.
where do I go from here???

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
There is a exhaust port right above the prop( I assume it is). I tried to start it for the first time today, it didn’t go well. After pumping the fuel bulb gas started to leak out the port on the port side of the lower unit. It also started leaking at the gasket between the upper and lower. To top it off the pull string stopped recoiling.
Since the prop is the least of your worries, you should start a thread in this section;

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Don't disperse, it seems useless right now. But everything you stated can be fixed and repaired. And for the record, that is all part of owning a boat. But don't look at it like troubles, look at it as learning experience. If you can try to find a break-down of your engine and go from there. Time to break out the wrenches and get your hands dirty. I am sure this is any comfort, but everyone of these boaters on here has done similar or worst. But we are here to help you along. As GA_Boater suggested above, start a thread for this and you will get help and ideas. Heck maybe even a few boaters has a break down for you... Stay positive and let's get it running!