plastic boat cover (Stamoid)

popey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hi there

Does anyone have an idea, how long a boat cover in plastic (Stamoid) lasts? under normal condition?

Best, popey

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: plastic boat cover (Stamoid)

Seen them last 5 years but caused some electrical problems on inboard/outboard due to moisture.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Depending on the style of Stamoid should last at least 5 yrs. Keep in mind there's Stamoid light, plus single and also double sided Stamoid.

Yes, being a waterproof vinyl laminate Stamoid don't breathe so good & should be vented to prevent mold/mildew.

I'm in the business'n frankly don't particularly like Stamoid. Sure it has a "rich" look but it's a pita to sew, slides all over itself when yer tryin to seam it. Plus once those nasty lil spores embed themselves 'tween the laminate'n backing, and they will, you'll play hell gettin em out.

Gimme Sunbrella anyday. You want totally waterproof? Go with Sunbrella Plus (waterproof vinyl backing). 10 yr warranty on both & the thread I use is guaranteed for the life of the material.

I've restitched Sunbrella that was 12 - 13 years old'n the material was still in servicable shape. That's purty dang good considering more often than not the stuff down here's out getting blasted by the sun 24/7.

Stamoid sucks. And it's expensive. Not necessarily in that order ...

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I agree with the above (not that it sucks, but there have to be steps taken). I've been the business 20 years and I only work on Stamoid after the customer insists on it. You will wind up with little black mildew spots on the underside. It's not usually visable from the topside, but even after bleaching, they come right back.

Aside from Sunbrella Plus, you can also look into Top Gun material as well as Sea Quest. Beware tho, that any material with a plasticized backing is going to shrink up over the next few years more than standard canvas, so have the shop be a little generous with your snap settings.

If you're set on Stamoid, make sure they stitch 'clamshells' into the cover so it can breathe.