PLANET OF THE APES

dogsdad

Lieutenant
Re: PLANET OF THE APES

I read a book titled The Biological Time Bomb many years ago, written by Gordon R. Taylor back in 1968, I believe. He predicted a lot of the ethical issues and some other ramifications that would result from great advances in the biological sciences. He was spot on.<br /><br />The idea of our understanding in the sciences leaping so far ahead of our ability to codify and implement ethics invokes a certain amount of fear, doesn't it?<br /><br /><br />-dd-

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Its interesting, but I am sure the bible crowd will effectively stamp that sort of thing out. Some of it does sound a bit barbaric, but at the same time, if the cure to aids or cancer could come out of it, or the ability to create more organs for transplant, the benifit to society would be tremendous. It will all fall back to what is ethically correct. I just hope that the standards of ethics used are based on a desire to not *******ize humanity, not on the bible. I am tired of feeling like my future is being dictated by a group of people who have a belief system I do not share.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by JasonJ:<br /> I am tired of feeling like my future is being dictated by a group of people who have a belief system I do not share.
In reality, JasonJ, you ought to be thankful that the country you have been privileged to grow up in has been mightily influenced by that belief system.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

It's only a matter of time before you'll be having arguments with your pets over which TV show to watch.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Elmer Fudge:<br /> It's only a matter of time before you'll be having arguments with your pets over which TV show to watch.
Allready do. Bambi likes the NASA channel. I find it too broken-up and boring.<br />So she whines until she gets her way.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by JasonJ:<br /> Its interesting, but I am sure the bible crowd will effectively stamp that sort of thing out. Some of it does sound a bit barbaric, but at the same time, if the cure to aids or cancer could come out of it, or the ability to create more organs for transplant, the benifit to society would be tremendous. It will all fall back to what is ethically correct. I just hope that the standards of ethics used are based on a desire to not *******ize humanity, not on the bible. I am tired of feeling like my future is being dictated by a group of people who have a belief system I do not share.
Forget the bible for a minute and think about the ramifications if everyone was able to live to 100. Think of the overpopulation issues. You think pollution is bad now, wait until our population doubles.<br /><br />Do we really need to save EVERYONE?<br /><br />If so, why does mother nature keep inventing new illnesses and diseases to kill us.<br /><br />Ken

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I don't see it much anymore, but they used to show people 100 or over on TODAY. I suppose they still do. I just haven't noticed lately. But I was talking to my teenage daughter one day and said that by the time I get that old, there will be too many people over 100 to put on a short blurb. I figure they'll have to bump it up to 120 for my generation and 140 for hers. This was a few years ago and I thought I may have been a bit too high. But with the advances in research we're seeing, that just might be a Conservative estimate.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

We are already heading down the over population road, no way to avoid it. It isn't the living to 100 part, it is the need for people to breed endlessly. People are pumping out kid after kid, with little knowledge or care on how it will affect the future. People are also having more kids as they get older. Lets not even get into that 57 year old woman having twins, its ridiculous. <br /> We keep having three or four kids each, they have kids, their kids have kids, etc. If we want to address overpopulation, then stop breeding. One or two kids per family is fine, but there is no way our religious society will allow limitations on how many welps can be pushed out, so we need to suck it up. <br /> I tell you what, all the people whining over stem cell research and all the other attempts at medical advancement would change their tune if they gave birth to a child that would benefit from that technology. Who would not want a cure or organ transplant that would actually work for their child? Or maybe you can just pray and then say its Gods will when you are at your 6 year old childs funeral. <br /> The technology isn't just about prolonging life, that is a small part of it. It is about finding solutions to the many medical problem we face. Maybe it is true that we are fighting natural selection, and for every advancement we acheive there is a new disease to kick us back down.<br /> As far as being priveledged to live in a country that has been influenced by religion, that is my point. This country was first founded on the basis of getting away from that, and it seems as though we are coming full circle. More and more, our country is being shaped, influenced, whatever, by religion. It is already happening politically, Science is being scorned and put on a back burner by religion. <br /> Religion needs to be put back in the place that it should be: A belief and way of life for those who choose to live that life, not a basis to influence the direction of an entire society politialy, scientifically, and morally. You want to believe in God, go for it, but do not jeapordize the health and potential cure of an ailment my child may have for your belief. Keep the damn religion in the church where it belongs.