Places to fish near atlanta, ga

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I was hoping someone knew of some places to Bass and Crappie near Atlanta, Ga. Just moved to the area and its ruff trying to find lake that would allow a Bass Boat on it. I got kicked off about 3 lakes that were over 400a because I had a gas motor on the back of my boat. And I wasn't even using the big motor; I was using the trolling motor. But it seems like you can't even do that on some of these lakes. I'm from Virginia, and every lake I know in the are would allow a gas powered motor on the lake as long as you don't power it up.. Things have got to get better...I thought moving to the south, I would have a host of Lakes right around the corner. Can anyone help.....

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Places to fish near atlanta, ga

You didn't say where you live in Atlanta. The city's so physically large that where you live makes a difference in which direction to go to fish.

In metro Atlanta, you've got Lake Lanier (northeast) and Allatoona (northwest) on your back door. Both are great fishing, large lakes. Lanier is one of the premier lake facilities in the U.S.--and the U.S. Government's most visited property.

You've got Carters Lake off Hwy 411 south of Chattsworth--about an hour northwest. West of Rome, GA is Weiss Lake (in Alabama)--a fantastic crappie fishery.

1 1/2 hours north of Marietta, you have Blue Ridge Lake. East of B/R is Lake Nottley (Blairsville) and Chatuge Lake (Hiwassee). These three lakes are TVA impoundments. Lake Chatuge is especially beautiful, with the city of Hiwassee right in the middle of the lake--islands, parks, camping, etc.

Lake Burton is NE of Helen/Cleveland, and is the summer home of the rich and famous--palatial mansions on a very beautiful mountain lake. The children @ Lake Burton YMCA Summer Camp ride in 10+ $110K Mastercraft 23' ski boats.

Going east on I-20, you've got Lake Oconee, which is just on the other side of the beautiful Madison, GA. This is also where many Atlantans have palatial second homes--and there is a Ritz Carlton golf resort. South of Oconee is Lake Sinclair (Milledgeville.)

You've also got West Point Lake--SW of Atlanta @ Lagrange, GA. Bassmaster Elites fished there this year.

Every one of these lakes are fantastic fishing. When you've world class fishing within 2 hours of the City, I wouldn't waste the time on small lakes and ponds.

Largemouth fishing is very good right now, with the fish trying to fatten up before a long Winter. Crappie fishing doesn't get into high season until April spawning. Atlanta area fishing is fantastic, and you obviously have many great lakes to choose from.