Pizza Dough

one more cast

Captain
Can anybody tell me how to make a good chewy pizza parlor style crust. I have tried a bunch of recipes and they all come out like bread.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Pizza Dough

Could be because your oven does'nt get hot enough, the ovens at the pizza parlors heats to over 1000 degrees, most domestic kitchen ovens heats to around 500 degrees max.<br /><br />Are you using semolina or regular self raising flour?

one more cast

Captain

just regular flour, I notice at my favorite pizza place they use high gluten flour but I couldn't find any in the stores.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Bread flour is higher gluten than regular flour. I have used it successfully for pizza crust.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I use my whole wheat bread recipe (includes added gluten) and bake on a stone, not a pan.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Gluten can be bought, the brand I am familuar with comes in a box about the size of baking soda in the backing goods isle. Gluten adds elasticity amongst other things. For starters I would double the amount recomended and go from there.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

OMC, just use Boboli bread. It makes the greatest chewy pizza crust. It even comes with tomato pizza sauce. You should be able to find it in most markets. It's not real cheap but it's better than any thing I've run across. If there is one thing I can't stand, besides Liberalism, it's 'cardboard pizza'. :p

one more cast

Captain

Thanks for all of the input. Boboli is out because making my own great pizza crust is one of my goals in life.I havn't tried any in awhile and now my wife makes me keep the bottom oven rack covered with foil after the "not enough corn meal on the peel trick" everything slid off the peel but the crust :D

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> If there is one thing I can't stand, besides Liberalism, it's 'cardboard pizza'. :p
1.gif
<br />even in pizza topic.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by JB:<br />and bake on a stone, not a pan.
Have to agree whole heartedly, a good pizza stone makes a world of difference.

LadyFish

Admiral

OMC, this is from pizza discussion board.<br /><br />Having grown up in New York City, there was hardly bad pizza – only better pizza. After moving, it was up to me to try to replicate the pizza I loved, thin, crisp, and slightly charred at the edges. My years of experimentation and exploration taught me that bakeries and pizzerias get the best flour. Even the admirable King Arthur you buy in the stores is not what bakers use; they use the commercial grade called Sir Galahad. The key at the start is a very high-gluten flour (Atkins followers beware!). I blend two types of flour that I purchase from La Cuisine in Virginia (1-800-521-1176): Lindley Mills Pizza flour ($8.50/5 pounds) and Bel Aria tipo 00 high gluten flour ($3/2.2 pounds). The proportion I use is 2 to one, respectively. I also use their Firmipan European yeast ($4/pound). It sounds pricey, but it’s worth it. You can check out their newsletter at www.lacuisineus.com, and go to the March 2001 archive.<br /><br />I make the dough the day before, let it rise about half an hour, then refrigerate. Take it out about 2 hour before baking, divide in 3, set on a well-floured surface in a warm place, and cover with plastic wrap. About 45 minutes before making the pizza, put your pizza stone in the oven, and crank the heat as high as possible. I have two thick, square pizza stones, and they actually help get the oven even hotter.<br /><br />This I learned from Pepe’s in New Haven: When flattening out your pizza, do it in a large amount of flour on your board. Don’t bother tossing way in the air, or you will look like the Pillsbury Doughboy. Use your thumbs and backs of your hands to stretch the dough. Place on a peel that has a dusting of flour and cornmeal. Go lightly and evenly on the toppings. I then spritz a light spray of olive oil on top. Place in the oven and rotate once to make sure it heats evenly. Bake it to your liking, which should be about 10 minutes, depending on how hot the oven is. It will be the best homemade pizza you ever had. Enjoy, Rob!<br /><br />Also, in my search I see where some people use a dough relaxer in order to get a chewy crust and they use all purpose flour.

one more cast

Captain

Thanks LadyFish, Is your Mom there yet? Tell her its going to be cold and/or snowy up here for the next week.

LadyFish

Admiral

OMC she comes in tomorrow. When I called up there yesterday afternoon it was -6. We're expecting upper 60's low 70's. Hopefully it won't rain too much but I know she is looking forward to the warmer climate and a little fishing. :)

ndemge

Commander

LadyFish... did you reasearch to find that, or are you part of a pizza BBS?<br /><br />...and I thought I was member to some off topic boards....

LadyFish

Admiral

ROTFLMAO, although I am a member of some off topic boards, pizza making isn't one of them. :D

one more cast

Captain

Pizza take 2.... oven on max, preheat stone for 30 Min's., 6 heaping teaspoons of gluten, chill dough for 2 hours in fridge. Dough was so springy I could hardly get it to 12". It puffed up nice in the oven but it was to thick for a 550 oven and was a little doughy. My biggest problem is it taste to much like saltine crackers. Well back to the old drawing board. Also found out its cheaper to go to the local pizzeria. and taste better too. :D

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a simple recipe for pizza dough that can be manipulated to be thick or thin. I mix it in a large glass bowl with a handle and measurements on the sides, although it doesnt really matter.<br /><br />Ingredients: 3cups 1st grade flour<br /> 1.25 cups hot water (not boiling, you can put your finger in it)<br /> 1teaspoon salt<br /> 2teaspoons granulated yeast<br /> olive oil<br /><br />Preheat oven to maximum (220Cplus) whatever that is in farenheit.<br /><br />Put the sugar into the water and stir, add the yeast.<br /><br />sprinkle the salt over the flour and give a light stirring with the fingers to aerate the flour.<br /><br />when the yeast is frothy tip into the salted flour and stir until there is no dry flour left in the bowl. This should be a fairly wet mix.<br /><br />Tip a little olive oil in (around 1or 2 tablespoons )and knead the dough, knead until all lumps are gone. Put aside in a warm place (in sunny weather I put it outside in a closed car for about half an hour) otherwise the hotwater cupboard for a little longer or some other warm place.The dough will expand a lot. It doesnt need long.<br /><br />My oven has steel oven trays about 17"by14"which I directly bake the Pizza on.<br /><br /><br />I put a generous amount of olive oil on a tray, spread it over and put about half the dough onto it.<br /><br />I use a rolling pin to roll it out, flipping the dough over so the other side gets oiled too.<br /><br />The dough shrinks back but by keeping at it you will eventually get it as thin as you want it, cutting off excess and returning to the remainder for the second pizza.<br /><br />If you want a thicker one dont roll so much. <br /><br />You can add or reduce the amount of oil to suit your tastes, more gives that almost fried texture that I like.<br /><br />Because I dont have a pizza oven I put the base in the oven by itself for a short time, turning over once to just get it started. A couple of minutes, watching all the time. Then out and add the sauce and topping , oregano and basil and whatever else .<br /><br />sometimes I fashion the other half of the dough into a long sausage shape and then make it into a french style bread , painting milk onto the outside a couple of times if I want a crisp crust, and serve as garlic bread.<br /><br />This recipe is not too critical on any of the quantities, I tend to do it by feel rather than measurement. Try it and play around with it, more or less salt ,etc.<br /><br />Enjoy.

one more cast

Captain

Thanks Grant, I think next time I will pre cook it a little like you do. That is almost the same recipe I used except I added extra gluten.