pitcher's pheonm

crab bait

Captain
partner at work claims the science can't explain how a pitcher gets the ball to do what it does..i.e. curve ,slide ,ect.. <br /><br />in science's realm,, it's impossiable..<br />an it doesn't exsist

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: pitcher's pheonm

Those scientists would also have problems explaining why someone riding a bicycle doesn't just fall over.<br /><br />A spinning object can have seemingly strange behavior.

mattttt25

Commander

lots of physics classes taught in college focus on baseball to help their students prove/disprove theories. makes the subject interesting. baseball is full of science.<br /><br />i remember learning that a rising fastball doesn't actually rise, it just falls slower and gives the perception that it is rising.

magster65

Commander

The ball spins so one side is 'with' the wind the other against, creating more drag on one side. That in turn causes the ball to drift that direction. Different spin, different result. Experiment with a beach ball.

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Saw a documentory once with slow-motion movies and all, plus scientific explanations on why the curves and such occur. Had a lot to do with the stitches too and was very informative. They sold me, anyway :D <br />Frank

QC

Supreme Mariner

I remember hearing that when I was a kid too. Total BS. Magster is all over this. It is aerodynamics plain and simple. It is alos fun to 'speriment with a wiffle ball. If you don't believe in the effect of spin on a ball, Golf will help you learn and quickly!! Maybe science can explain why it can't be hit straight . . .

LadyFish

Admiral

I was going to answer this but I didn't know what a "pheonm" is.
17.gif

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br /> If you don't believe in the effect of spin on a ball, Golf will help you learn and quickly!! Maybe science can explain why it can't be hit straight . . .
ROFLMAO<br />You been watching me on the driving range haven't you!!!<br /><br />AK Chappy

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

But can science explain and/or predict the flight path of a knuckleball?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> But can science explain and/or predict the flight path of a knuckleball?
No, and neither can the pitcher, catcher, hitter or umpire . . . :D