Pitch and Cup

JeffSlade

Seaman Apprentice
I have read many posts about prop pitch and how to move up for speed and down for power. What happens when you add cup. I have a 75 hp Force with an aluminum 16 pitch prop with no cup. I can reach 5000 rpm with max being 5250. I top out at about 33 mph. The boat is a 17ft bayliner fish/ski. Would I gain anything by changing props to the same pitch just by adding some cup? What do you recommend. I fish mainly but will be doing some skiing soon. Thanks

KingJB

Cadet
Re: Pitch and Cup

Stainless prop with better pitch might get you a couple of MPH, but 75 horses on 17 foot probably isn't gonna get a whole lot better. Try trimming up at speed to get alittle more also.

JeffSlade

Seaman Apprentice

So what does cup do for a prop? Can I get more performance with a prop that is cupped?

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would look for a 15"pitch cupped prop for the poat. Better aceleration and no loss of top end speed. You may have to look at SS props to do this, if so get one with a 20 degree rake. They hold the water better than the 15 degree rake props int he same pitch.<br /><br />...have fun...corm