Piranha composite modular props

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Anyone have any experience with these good, bad, or indifferent? Looks like a pretty neat concept, and easily repairable. Curious for feedback. Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you hit something, they break. you step on the broken parts, it cuts your foot. I tried one years ago as the cottage we rented had lots of boulders just off the dock, went back to aluminum after that. however maybe they gotten better in the last decade

Dave Aluminum

Seaman
I just bought this at a liquidation place in Canada, $25 couldn’t pass it up, I have high hopes, build quality is VERY good, and MADE IN SWEDEN

Attachments

• 50A60B42-8E7A-4302-9186-A408AD0B1464.png
    50A60B42-8E7A-4302-9186-A408AD0B1464.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
  • A53F21E8-C12D-41AE-9D2B-CAD4964CF6F1.png
    A53F21E8-C12D-41AE-9D2B-CAD4964CF6F1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

Baylinerchuck

Commander
you hit something, they break. you step on the broken parts, it cuts your foot. I tried one years ago as the cottage we rented had lots of boulders just off the dock, went back to aluminum after that. however maybe they gotten better in the last decade

Where I mainly boat, the limestone can sneak up on ya. A small strike is a new prop. With these, you can replace individual blades, and have different pitches. They have a design that they claim to be more efficient and reduces cavitation. The price is about the same as an aluminum prop. Curious if anyone else uses these.

Thx for the reply.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Where I mainly boat, the limestone can sneak up on ya. A small strike is a new prop. With these, you can replace individual blades, and have different pitches. They have a design that they claim to be more efficient and reduces cavitation. The price is about the same as an aluminum prop. Curious if anyone else uses these.

Thx for the reply.
the lake I was using them on is on the rock peninsula of door county. literally part of the niagra escarpment. the cabin I was at must have had about 30 or 40 bolders ranging in size from 2' aroung to 4' just outside the dock. it was great for fishing, not so much for prop longevity. I was bending prop blades every once in a while. however with the piranah, I snapped off all 3 blades. then about a day later, I found one of the blades with my foot

I went to stainless after that

they may work for your needs.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Yeah, 3 replacement blades for the piranha is close to the cost of an aluminum prop anyway. Lol.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Another thing an aluminum pop can be repaired and it's only new blades for the composite. Also no tuning for the composite prop.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
There was a boat with one of these on it in my marina. Being a bit of a prop geek...I had to avoid walking past it each time...it made me sick a wee bit in my mouth most times.
The boat isn’t there anymore...but has now been replaced by a boat with hydro foil fins on its outdrive. The sick in mouth problem is now back !

Baylinerchuck

Commander
There was a boat with one of these on it in my marina. Being a bit of a prop geek...I had to avoid walking past it each time...it made me sick a wee bit in my mouth most times.
The boat isn’t there anymore...but has now been replaced by a boat with hydro foil fins on its outdrive. The sick in mouth problem is now back !
So what exactly does this mean? I’m looking for performance reviews not anecdotal comments on what makes you vomit..... so you don't like the way a composite prop looks?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
So what exactly does this mean? I’m looking for performance reviews not anecdotal comments on what makes you vomit..... so you don't like the way a composite prop looks?
Sorry there. Suppose I was trying to say that they are terrible things. If you have the same easily aggravated approach to boating as the reply given above. Maybe it might be a good idea. Get lots of spare blades too. Maybe a jet boat is the answer.
In fact maybe I’m wrong about them..along with the half century or more collective engineering archive built up by oem’s.
If the reply is anything like along the lines of “but I hit the bottom all the time and it makes sense”...either boating isn’t for you..or you need to go boating somewhere else.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Sorry there. Suppose I was trying to say that they are terrible things. If you have the same easily aggravated approach to boating as the reply given above. Maybe it might be a good idea. Get lots of spare blades too. Maybe a jet boat is the answer.
In fact maybe I’m wrong about them..along with the half century or more collective engineering archive built up by oem’s.
If the reply is anything like along the lines of “but I hit the bottom all the time and it makes sense”...either boating isn’t for you..or you need to go boating somewhere else.
Apology accepted. Not an aggravated approach, trying to get some first hand experiences from folks who actually have tried them. Do they perform as the company advertises? Likes, dislikes, Performance? You don’t like how they look, I got it. Also, thanks for the great commentary. You’ve been a great help. In fact I’m going to sell my boat, and buy a paddle board......no worries about props now. Obviously I should have thought about that years ago.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Apology accepted. Not an aggravated approach, trying to get some first hand experiences from folks who actually have tried them. Do they perform as the company advertises? Likes, dislikes, Performance? You don’t like how they look, I got it. Also, thanks for the great commentary. You’ve been a great help. In fact I’m going to sell my boat, and buy a paddle board......no worries about props now. Obviously I should have thought about that years ago.
This paddle board...is it the inflatable beach toy type ?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Used to own a variable pitch Propulse prop installed on a 2 strokes 30 HP motor, lovely prop, 7 pitches to play with when varying boat and HP motor sizes. As like boating with portable range motors and fixed load dialing a correct pitch number under trial and error for motor to run towards its max wot rpm range was a breeze.

Never broke a blade as know well the water I like boating at, if not knowig your boating area boat with extreme caution, avoid doing so near beach, river, lake shores as not to break blades. The motor was stolen, so end of the story...

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Propulse.JPG
    Propulse.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Spare Blades.JPG
    Spare Blades.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: