Pintle Hitch ok?

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been gone for quite a while due to my wife's health issues, but during that time I picked up a new to me tow rig, our last truck wasn't much use other than to look good.
I got a pretty good deal on a M1008a1, basically a K30 on steroids in US Marine Corps dress. I really don''t want to install another hitch on the truck, but it has the standard pintle hitch. Installing a lunette on the boat trailer won't be a big deal but seems those hitches aren't as tight fitting as your regular ball hitch, anyone think there may be any issues?

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I tow trailers with a pintle hook every day. My pintle had a 2 inch ball on it so I used that to pull my Toon but if it hadn't I would have put a ring on my boat trailer. Can't imagine you would have any issues.

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In my opinion, I wouldn't want the extra movement in the hitch that the pintle allows. I would spend the money to install a regular receiver hitch on the vehicle. That way, if you need to pull a trailer with the pintle hitch setup, just use one that is made to fit the receiver.

ahicks

Captain
I doubt seriously you'd have any handling issues - but the potential for rattling, having to listen to that on a longer trip, would have me seeking a conventional ball/coupler design.

Bondo

Staff member
Installing a lunette on the boat trailer won't be a big deal but seems those hitches aren't as tight fitting as your regular ball hitch, anyone think there may be any issues?

Ayuh,...... Go for it,.... Once hooked up, 'n runnin' down the road, ya won't even notice it,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Some surge brake couplers simply wont work with a pintle hitch. Only you know what type of coupler you have on your trailer

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
Te boat that will be towed is a 21' Starcraft Chieftain, no brakes on the trailer so that eliminates the surge brake question. As for the added noise from the rattles, well lol, for anyone who hasn't driven one of these trucks you can't hear much over the engine anyway :D The cabs are pretty bare, no sound eliminating insulation anywhere and the Detroit under the hood is loud.
The little jarring from a less than tight fit I did wonder about but after checking out some of the lunettes I guess there won't really be that much slop if I get the right one. I don't want to add a regular hitch because I do use this truck off road and I need as much departure angle clearance under the bumper as I can get at times. I looked at some of the ball/pintle options last night but not really into them for a couple reasons. I would have to redo how the military mounted this one and possible compromise it's strength, as well as how the military pintle works. It is designed to rotate for towing trailers off road. You can get the truck and military trailer in some pretty twisted angles with no issues.
Back on the surge brake issue seems you brought that up, Scott, I think I may be able to adapt the surge brake from a M101a2 over to the boat trailer if I decide I want brakes. I'll look at the military service manual for this truck to see how it's all fastened together on the tung.
Thanks for the thoughts guys! Much appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Back on the surge brake issue seems you brought that up, Scott, I think I may be able to adapt the surge brake from a M101a2 over to the boat trailer if I decide I want brakes.

Ayuh,... That truck ain't even gonna notice the boat behind it,....

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ayuh,... That truck ain't even gonna notice the boat behind it,....

That's for sure! I've had huge loads on it that far outweigh the boat/trailer and it took it without a sweat. Top speed is only 55mph due to it's gearing but it doesn't care what I have loaded. Once I get the lunette and some stock I'll add that to my build thread of my Chieftain.