Pinstripping

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1985 270 Sundancer. I am starting to work on hull of boat. I need to get the pin stripping off. It just breaks into pieces. Is there an easier way?

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Pinstripping

if you go to an auto store that sells painting supplies, you should be able to find a scraper that looks like a razor blade, but it is made of plastic...it is used to remove pinstriping from cars, without marring the car's paint

Trooper82

Commander

You could make one from a piece of acrylic or plexiglass...just file a sharp edge on it...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I have a 1985 270 Sundancer. I am starting to work on hull of boat. I need to get the pin stripping off. It just breaks into pieces. Is there an easier way?

Do you have that Black and Gold ( the thin gold metalic crap ) ? .. oh man..that stuff is the worst I have come across.

You can try an acetone wipe followed by a buffing wheel ..or careful razor blade ( brand new and you might go through a dozen for a 27 footer.

Your next question is gonna be "how do I get all the gummy stuff after I removed the stripes" :) ..

Answer is gonna be acetone or 3m adhesive remover with a new razor blade again.. ( this time it goes quick(er) ). With a final wipe down with acetone.

if you go to an auto store that sells painting supplies, you should be able to find a scraper that looks like a razor blade, but it is made of plastic...it is used to remove pinstriping from cars, without marring the car's paint

Not gonna work if its that thin metallic tape.

You could make one from a piece of acrylic or plexiglass...just file a sharp edge on it...

Nope..wont work. You can try a heat gun with the ol' bladed plexi scraper .. but it just does not work very well.

YD.