pinion shims

leftseat150

Cadet
I'm replacing the driveshaft on my J60TLCRE. It is an 84 model. I'm wondering if there is an alternate method of shimming the pinion gear other than using omc special tool 320739 or 393185 as outlined in my factory service manual. If I simply had the dimension of the tool, I could use my caliper to arrive at the correct height. I'm thinking of just setting up the new one with the same measurement as the old one. I was hoping the 70$ manual would give me this specification. When I worked at an automobile dealership, we had alternate methods of doing things, I'm sure there are some for lower unit's as well.

May your coolers be full of fish, and your outboards humming a song!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: pinion shims

The specs might be on the shim gauge tools, but I don't have them. You have two choices. 1..Take it to a dlr and let them shim it. 2...Put the same shims back in it and hope for the best.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
Re: pinion shims

I"ll see if I have that gauge and get back to you.

Sorry. I have six different gauges, none with those part numbers.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your local shop can assist you in minutes.-----These gearcases are not robust and shimming must be correct.-----Or use " mechanics blue " to check proper tooth contact.

Csmith1579

Recruit
Your local shop can assist you in minutes.-----These gearcases are not robust and shimming must be correct.-----Or use " mechanics blue " to check proper tooth contact.

Thank you for the input. I have the shimming tools and more confidence than experience, so that makes me somewhat dangerous. I'll call my local shop today, but since I'm in Arizona, I have my doubts as to the experience of a shop that doesn't see a lot of Evinrudes.