Pinion Gear Bearing

Popsrose'

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
21
Good morning Mates. Well started into the lower unit of my 28 HP. Found several things to include a bad bearing. When I took my pinion gear out the roller bearings started falling out. The pinion gear looks like that of a 68 model versus my 64. Is this bearing incased? If so ,without a puller, any suggestion on how to get the remaining casing out? It looks like retaing rings top and bottom, but I am not sure. Manual does not say much except replace.
Thanks Much for all the help.
Popsrose'
Big Dummy:confused:
 

lindy46

Captain
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
3,886
Re: Pinion Gear Bearing

Just clean the roller bearings and using a light grease, put (stick) them back in place. You probably don't need to replace the bearing.
 

Popsrose'

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
21
Re: Pinion Gear Bearing

Thanks Lindy, That was my first thought. I light touch of wheel grease just to stick them in place. I replaced the bearings and seals on the prop shaft. I noticed when I dry run the prop for fit, it is not seating aganist the oil seal housing. About a 1/4 " away if I align the prop pin up. Any suggestion? I thought about shimming the difference.
Popsrose'
 
Top