pinion bearing carrier oil seal leak

smacks12

Seaman Apprentice
with my outdrive off i notice a puddle of gear oil in the rubber boot in front of the gimbal bearing. and it appears to be coming from the pinion bearing carrier oil seal. it wasn't enough of a leak to have to add oil to the sx outdrive. but does this sound like a serious problem or just something to keep an eye on until the next outdrive removal for maint.

now151

Seaman Apprentice
Re: pinion bearing carrier oil seal leak

i don't know if it hurts or not. i have the same problem , took drive off in 2010 for maint and wiped the boot out clean. last week took the drive off for maint and there was a puddle again, amount of a couple of tablespoons full. the sx-m drive dipstick didn't show needing any oil though. the rubber boot keeps the water out, but holds the leaked gearoil.

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: pinion bearing carrier oil seal leak

Fellas...

A leaking seal isn't to be taken lightly... The purpose of the bellows isn't to catch the over-spill that comes out of the outdrive. Either get a factory shop manual for your drive, and see if its a repair your skill sets allow you to address on your own. Or pull the drive and have it professionally leak tested and repaired.

Its by far cheaper to reseal an outdrive with new seals than it is to wait and have to reseal it with a new outdrive.