Ping Pong Balls instead of foam?

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Better boyancy than foam without any water absorbtion...I am seriously thinking about using ping pong balls under my boat deck. They are cheap when purchased in bulk. Am i crazy?

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ping Pong Balls instead of foam?

There has to be a reason boat manufactures do not use them. What happens when they develop holes do to friction.

Bondo

Staff member

Soda Pop Bottles...........<br /><br />They're Stronger........ And, They're Free.........

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, the ping pong idea was covered quite well. What about spraying foam inside plastic bottles with the lid super glued on? This way your foam stays dry and if the bottle seal fails, you are safe.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ping pong balls? There was an old cartoon I saw when I was a kid (long ago) and they pumped ping pong balls into a sunken boat to raise it. An old pirate ship with a treasure chest I think. It was funny then and funny now. <br /><br />If youre carring around that much treasure I guess ya gotta have a lotta balls.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

rotfl at Dh :D <br />speaking of old shows/ ping-pong balls...<br />captn' Kangaroo!<br /><br />back 2 yur ?... I think Bondo's idea is better.<br />pop bottles are not nearly as fragile os PPballs

Bondo

Staff member

What about spraying foam inside plastic bottles with the lid super glued on?
Nope,........ uh-Huh......... No Way.........<br /><br />Foam is Added Weight,+ Expense,+ Unnessessary........<br /><br />Glue the Caps....????? Are You Kidding ?? A Soda Pop Bottle will hold Pressure for Years......<br /><br />How Old was the Oldest Soda you've ever Opened ???<br />I've Found them 5, maybe 10 Years Old,...... And they Still go Fisszzz When I opened it...........<br /><br />A Soda Pop Bottle will Last Forever, as long as it doesn't see the Light of Day(No UV Light)........ And there's darn Little Sunlight in My Bilges.........<br /><br />If you were to Screw the caps on during a nice Winter day, at say 30*.... Those bottles would be Pressurized All Summer Long,.. Just from the Temp. difference........<br />No Pumping.. No Foam.... Just Nice Stable Air......<br /><br />AAnnndddd,...................<br />If by chance You Do take on a little Water,<br />The Bilge Will Drain Perfectly, All By Itself......As long as you add the required Limber Holes........................ ;)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

what happened to the 2 giant starcraft white<br />factory foam blocks bondo?<br /><br />mine are still in great shape...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... So are Mine..........Too Bad You can't Buy that kind of foam anywhere......Even Gasoline Doesn't Bother It.......<br /><br />I'm Stuffing the Old Town Atlantis project Full of bottles.... It took awhile, But, I got Most of the old Foam out of it........Most was Dry..... No Rot yet....

crab bait

Captain

balls / bottles /whatever,, the coast guard only excepts floation that WILL NOT comeout of hull if breached..

Bondo

Staff member

Fine gage Fish Nets............<br /><br />A few years ago, on some cable TV channel, there was a show about a guy who rented a Big Slip in Fla., or somewhere Warm...... He then made Fishnet bags,+ filled them with Empty Soda Bottles....... Then,....... He built a Campsite on top of it all..........<br />He had been Living there for several Years......With Full Utilities...!!<br />He stated he had to replace a couple hundred bottles a year... All due to UV light rot........<br /><br /><br />I'm not to worried about My old Barges,..... I've got Redundent Systems for My Redundent Systems........<br />And enough Lifejackets to Float the Passengers,+ the Vessel..................

BillP

Captain

Ping pong balls only give about 50% flotation for the space they take.

Realgun

Commander

Just a bad Idea that needs to DIE!<br />Same with pop bottles. Use the darn 2-part foam thats actually made to float your boat and be done with it. It works and it is as cheap or cheaper than any other method.<br />Plus if you actually get hit the foams not going anywhere. <br /> :eek:

Tinkerer

Originally posted by BillP:<br /> Ping pong balls only give about 50% flotation for the space they take.
Correct. <br /><br />You'd need cube shaped ones packed so there weren't any voids to get close to 100% air volume, less the wall thicknesses. <br /><br />Same problem with soda bottles as cylinders leave lots of void between them.<br /><br />Why not use air bags? Not the sort in cars, but made of heavy gauge durable rubber in suitable sizes to more or less fit the shapes under the floor. <br /><br />I'm thinking of the heavyweight tough stuff like they use for fluid containers for water and fuels. And inflatable boats. Virtually impossible to hole it just sitting under the floor. Stuff like this, except inside the boat http://www.airofloat.com/ <br /><br />Lay it over a thin plastic mesh so water can always drain to the keel and not get trapped between the bag and the hull or the strigers.<br /><br />Put a filler valve through a sealed hole in the floor so you can keep low pressure air in it to make sure you have it fully filled.<br /><br />A bag between each set of stringers ensures that even if one is holed you'll still have the others. <br /><br />Could also adapt the same idea to the bow and the voids under the gunnels and splashwell that are out of sight.<br /><br />I suspect that this would give a greater volume of air than whatever is trapped between the cell walls in foams.

Tinkerer

Ignore. Hit the quote button instead of the edit button.

Just_a_Kid

Seaman

I believe this was covered in previous posts.<br /><br />If you think about it the foam does provide additional structural support . A bunch of bottles bouncing around or ping pong balls aren't going to reinforce any of the structure of the deck ... I think it is a good idea to use soda bottles for the fact that it keeps everything draining correctly and the last thing anybody wants is water being stuck below.... but I don't think it is wise to avoid the differences between the two when it comes down to what each choice offers.<br /><br />just my 2 cents

wallbanger2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> Ping pong balls? There was an old cartoon I saw when I was a kid (long ago) and they pumped ping pong balls into a sunken boat to raise it. An old pirate ship with a treasure chest I think. It was funny then and funny now. <br /><br />If youre carring around that much treasure I guess ya gotta have a lotta balls.
They just did a show on that on Mythbusters. They took a sailboat and sunk it. Then used a long 6" hose with a funnel on the top to pour the balls down while pumping water into the top. The coralis effect (like your toilet) pulled the balls down about 35' into the cabin of the boat and it floated to the surface after using 27,000 balls. The sailboat weighed 3500 lbs and they originally calculated that it would take 50000 balls to float but forgot about the boyancy of the wood and other items.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

I read in another post you can fill the soda bottles with helieum, you can make the boat lighter that way :rolleyes: <br /><br />2 part foam is cheap why take chances i gotta beleive that the same volume of foam has more bouyancy than a soda bottle filled with air

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Soda bottles with foam pumped in round them?