Picture of an MCM 3.0 shift linkage

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I think I got it back together okay . But I would like to see a picture to make sure it's right. I had to remove all the cables to remove the engine. On start-up, it is not engaging reverse before the throttle increases rpms. I will check the drive cable for the 6" measurement, then the remote for the 3 1/8" measurement. This a 1998 3.0 MCM with the linkage on the starboard side. It shifted great before I worked on it. Can't find a procedure to do this or a picture. Thanks Dave-R

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Achris: Thanks a million. That is exactly what I needed. Next time I'll take a picture before I take it apart. Outside of the shift interrupt switch, this engine is bullet proof. No electric fuel pump or computer with 900 codes, just fuel, spark, and compression . Dave R.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
..., this engine is bullet proof. No electric fuel pump or computer with 900 codes, just fuel, spark, and compression . Dave R.

Don't knock electronics. I have an MPI engine, and I wouldn't change back to 19th century technology for anything. No pesky points to worry about, and set, and timing to set, or carb mixtures to mess with, which are really only accurate the day you set them. My MPI engine computer adjusts the timing and injection just about every revolution of the engine, to give optimal spark timing and fuel mixture. I run smoother, faster, quieter and use less fuel than carb/points engines could ever dream about. And I say all this from both an experience standpoint (my previous engine, as much as I liked it, was carbed version of my MPI, and the MPI runs rings around it), and as an electronics tech... The only problem I have had in the 12 years of ownership is the IAC, a $45 fix. With a points/carb engine, you're replacing spark plug, points, rotors, capacitors, not to mention the hours of time spent setting those up... My MPI, I get in, turn the key and go... I do an oil and filters change every 50 hours and that's it, maintenance finished!

All that said, Enjoy boating. :D

Chris.........