(pics) hardtop, bimini top w/ full enclosure

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer
VaGent asked for some pictures and details about the full enclosure on my Starcraft 240 Starfish pontoon. Here's the details for all.

DCP_3960.jpg

The hardtop was originally installed so it would fold forwards. The mounts were turned around so now it folds to the stern. It was also moved forward to cover the forward section and a bimini top was added in the back. The canvas over the very front (pics later in post) can be removed and the three section curtain can remain. You can either unzip one or all the panels and they roll up for storage too.

Here's the very back where the rear canvas attaches over the rear storage areas. There is a snap at each side of the 90* corner. The rear section is comprised of three section, each side and a center section. These can be unzipped and rolled up or removed.

DCP_4183.jpg

DCP_4184.jpg

At the hardtop uprights, the canvas is secured by snaps and turn buttons.
DCP_4185.jpg

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer
Re: (pics) hardtop, bimini top w/ full enclosure

Here at the front where the hardtop ends and the front cover attaches, the front cover snaps in place and over hangs the sides.
DCP_4186.jpg

Here's another view of the front
DCP_4187.jpg

Looking at the picture above, where the front cover meets the vertical covers, it is both zippered to the front panels and velcroed. Each panel has it's own zipper/velcro section.

Here's a couple pictures of the how the bimini top attaches to the hardtop. Nothing fancy, just snaps on the inside of the hardtop. note This is a debris catch and should be cleaned every so often.
DCP_4189.jpg

DCP_4190.jpg

Here's how the uprights are attached and stabilized.
DCP_4191.jpg

There is one 1/4-20 screw on the forward upright at the top and one on the rear in the middle of the side panel. These have washers on both sides and nyloc nuts. It is fastened this way at all four slanted uprights.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Here's the vertical uprights at the front of the hardtop.
DCP_4192.jpg

There is one 1/4-20 bolt at floor level and one at mid panel. Washers both sides and nyloc nuts.

Here's the very top attachment point which is inside the forward shelf.
DCP_4193.jpg

Countersunk screws are used here.

The binimi top fastens normally
DCP_4194.jpg

DCP_4196.jpg

The rear portion of the binimi top is zippered around the rear upright.
DCP_4195.jpg

As you can see in the above picture, the sides fasten by zippers on the bimini top and as seen below, snap in place on the hardtop.
DCP_4197.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the attachment point for the very front vertical panels but there is a 1 x 1 aluminum angle where it snaps in place. The angle also helps keep the rain out.

Hope this helps you out with your project.

Jeff

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You did this yourself or had it built?

Pretty nice set up, I have always thought it wuould be cool to have a small 16'18' toon with a full camper top and just a few seats for fishing, ti would be a real sail in the wind though.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jeff, thanks a lot for the pics of the enclosure. I'm printing them out so when I go to the upholsry shop they see exactly what I am wanting. I really like the idea of moving the metal top "rearward" as I have been thinking about doing it myself. You've done a great job on your pontoon & I like the color scheme

Here's the vertical uprights at the front of the hardtop.
DCP_4192.jpg

There is one 1/4-20 bolt at floor level and one at mid panel. Washers both sides and nyloc nuts.

Here's the very top attachment point which is inside the forward shelf.
DCP_4193.jpg

Countersunk screws are used here.

The binimi top fastens normally
DCP_4194.jpg

DCP_4196.jpg

The rear portion of the binimi top is zippered around the rear upright.
DCP_4195.jpg

As you can see in the above picture, the sides fasten by zippers on the bimini top and as seen below, snap in place on the hardtop.
DCP_4197.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the attachment point for the very front vertical panels but there is a 1 x 1 aluminum angle where it snaps in place. The angle also helps keep the rain out.

Hope this helps you out with your project.

Jeff

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

You did this yourself or had it built?

Pretty nice set up, I have always thought it wuould be cool to have a small 16'18' toon with a full camper top and just a few seats for fishing, ti would be a real sail in the wind though.

I purchased the boat this way from a family friend last Sept. Charlie had this done.

It is a sail in the wind but it's worth it. You have shade on the hot days and closed up you can stay warm.

Jeff

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Jeff, thanks a lot for the pics of the enclosure. I'm printing them out so when I go to the upholsry shop they see exactly what I am wanting. I really like the idea of moving the metal top "rearward" as I have been thinking about doing it myself. You've done a great job on your pontoon & I like the color scheme

You're welcome. I may not of been clear in my description but the 1 x 1 aluminum angle is on the floor. The top of the front panels snap to the hardtop.

Let me know if you need any other pictures

Jeff

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

My metal top looks to be the same size of yours (8X12). The only difference I can see is the supports for your top mount on the outside of the fence rails & fasten to the deck whereas mine are attached to the top of the fence railing. I can see where that would porvide more support for the top & make it more stable. I'm going to see if I have enough room on the outside of my fence to do it the same way as yours. I am also thinking about replacing the metal with canvas in order to make it lighter to raise & lower.