Pics for Total Rebuild of Starcraft Jupiter - Post of 4/17

PJ Tad

Cadet
Starcraft 1961 - 62 Brouchure 001.jpgOld Starcraft Spec Sheet.jpg
Just thought someone might be interested in an old Starcraft brochure from 1961 & 62, with the specifications of the boats offered for sale back then. The picture of the "Jupiter" on the front cover, along with the specs is the boat I have been working on.
1982 - Old Starcraft Boat & Trailer - Orig Condition.jpg1982 - Old Starcraft Boat & Trailer - Original.jpg
Here are some Polaroid pics of the old Starcraft Jupiter that was abandoned and the shape it was in. I had to haul it over to a local boat yard to get the trailer fixed up a bit with a working tail light and tires that would hold air for my trip home.

1982 - Got the boat home without gettiing stopped by MSHD.jpg

Well, I finally made it home without the MSHW Patrol catching me for hauling without a current trailer license.

This appears to be the upper limit to my pictures for this posting. I do have a few more film pics I'd like to show in case someone would want to see what the old original boat looked like before I started the restoration. For most of that work my pictures are digital.

PJ Tad

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Pics for Total Rebuild of Starcraft Jupiter - Post of 4/17

Hey thank you!!

Have you seen the brochure collection member's have accumulated over time??? Take a look here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=349830

What are your restoration plans?

PJ Tad

Cadet
Re: Pics for Restoration of Starcraft Jupiter -Original Post of 4/17

Re: Pics for Restoration of Starcraft Jupiter -Original Post of 4/17

1984 - Trailer Refurb'ed 1st Time, Started Paint Stripping of Hull   Stripping Hull.jpg

I can't find the photos of installing the new transom, but here is the boat afterwards, and I had started stripping the exterior paint. I am getting ready to move to another town so I got the old trailer road-ready with a new paint job, new tires and lights.

Hull is Mostly Stripped Bare.jpg

At my new place, with the hull pretty well stripped. I'll move it into my shop to paint the bottom and sides, then turn it upright to start work on the inside.
I used a 2-part poly-urathane boat paint, with 2-part primer. I put on 2 coats of primer, then 4 coats of urathane, wet sanded between coats, with the last coat applied using the roll and tip method. I ordered the boat paint (made by Petit) from a Sears catalog store. The store manager informed me they were going to stop handling this boat paint and would I be interested in purchasing a bulk amount of what they had remaining in stock. I bought a case of primer (4 quarts), a case of white, a case of grey, and two cases of the green I was using for about 1/4th the original price, so I didn't have to skimp on any coverage. I also planned to re-paint the trailer to match the boat.

PJ Tad